Default Mooring in Henley

It's a regular stopping off place for me, or used to be. The last few times I have tried to moor on the public moorings at the park, I have been thwarted by selfish pillocks who consider it ok to take up at least 2 boat lengths.

Sometimes it's by leaving a dinghy or rib tethered to the stern (one boat seems to have been there for a while doing this), sometimes simply sticking a boat in the middle of two accessible berths rather than tying up closer to a boat already there.

A couple in a small cruiser had done just this recently, probably around 20ft of boat in the middle of a 50ft space. When I tried to speak to them to ask if they would move up they completely ignored me. I eventually got in much further upstream in the shallows, and dinged the props the process. I had to walk by the people who ignored me and stuck my head into their cockpit to suggest they might have been more helpful. At first the bloke said he hadn't seen me but then admitted he had, saying he was having his lunch. Bless.

I managed not to swear (only inwardly) but explained to him that we are all boaters and should be prepared to share and help each other out. He muttered something unintelligible. I felt better for not having lost my temper but hope I left him with indigestion.

Default Re: Mooring in Henley

Raft up alongside them, thats what would happen at the coast without even a "by your leave" in most situations
    Regal 2250 - see www.sportsboat.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mlines View Post
    Raft up alongside them, thats what would happen at the coast without even a "by your leave" in most situations
    Cookham.
    A well known poster on this forum asked very politely if the owner of a very similar boat could budge up just a little.The mooring was full, mostly with long term berth blockers.
    Our forumite was told to get lost in no uncertain terms. the skipper followed us downstream into the lock the following day,then disappeared into Bray.
    The offender had a brand new boat or it had been polished within an inch of its life,its fenders were spotless.
    Last edited by oldgit; 07-08-19 at 15:56.

Good job you edited your post OG otherwise people might think you post nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnbarr View Post
    Good job you edited your post OG otherwise people might think you post nonsense
    was also told off by somebody else for geographical inaccuracy