Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Deliberately starting an anchor thread.

There is a long established tendency for people who mess about in boats to want to make their boats as "capable" of long distance cruising as we can, Back in the 1930s people wanted to have a boat that could cross an ocean, though very few did.

Nothing has changed. We anchor less than we used to, because there are marinas, and more to the point there are moorings just about anywhere anyone wants to anchor, but the long distance cruisers anchor a lot, so they worry about ground tackle, and we want to be like them.

Next year I will have owned cruising boats without a break for fifty years in UK waters. Here is the sum total of all the anchoring issues I have experienced, by type of anchor:

Fisherman, used as only anchor on first boat, as kedge on second and third boats - never had a problem but would pull through soft mud.

Danforth, bower anchor on third boat - once bit its own chain and dragged and once bit a ground chain and had to be abandoned.

CQR, bower on second, bower and kedge on fourth and subsequent boats. Dragged twice, on both occasions because I was stupid enough to anchor on a short scope on the edge of deeper water and the boat pulled the anchor into it. Got foul of ground chains three times, recovered using Hiscock's loop of chain technique each time.

Er, that's it.

Mind you, I haven't gone overboard under way, either, but I still go in for lifejackets and tethers.
    Last edited by Minn; 06-08-19 at 13:35.

Default Re: Deliberately starting an anchor thread.

Looks like CQR is still comfortably best of breed for both bower and kedge.

So, all in all two CQRs seems like the way to go!

Off to start digging an Anderson shelter now

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post

Er, that's it.

Too windy to go sailing & getting a bit bored are we????
    Stop trying to wind everyone up, just because you are going cold turkey
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Nobody but a fool would risk losing his boat and possibly his and other's lives by using an unsafe anchor.

The CQR anchor was patented in the 1930s.

The great number of them still being used demonstrates that it It has been a very successful anchor.

If it had not been, you would not see so many of them in use around the world, since there are many readily available and competitively priced alternatives on the market.

It may well be that better anchors have been invented since the CQR first came on the market more than 80 years ago.

That does not mean that the CQR has suddenly become useless, anymore than the emergence of a new mobile phone immediately renders its predecessors useless.

The CQR was Eric Hiscock's choice of anchor.

If it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

I chose CQR anchors for the three boats I have owned.

I have never had any reason to regret doing so.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

The w/e before last I watched a boat drag off Studland, no one on board, it hit the boat to my Starboard and hung there hooked by the anchor chain, there was nothing I could do to help as my inflatable was all packed away. A MoBo came to his assistance and pulled the yacht free then towed it back inshore and re anchored it. That was down to too short a scope.
    I've dragged a couple of times, once in Lulworth, I anchored in the wrong place - just inside the entrance on the East side. The bottom is wall to wall kelp and I was on a Bruce!
    I managed to loose the Bruce on the Seine heading to Rouen, I didn't have enough time to do the full trip before dark, so anchored on a large CQR (22 ft boat) and I used a tripping line. Late in the evening I wasn't happy on just one anchor so I laid the Bruce, but didn't put a tripping line on it! In the morning the Bruce got hooked on some ground chain, I couldn't free it, the strength of the current didn't help, so I had to abandon it.
    The other time that I dragged was around the back of Brownsea Island in soft clay on a Delta. The Delta was specked correctly for the length of boat, but the boats Pilot House windage hadn't been taken into account. After that I upped the size of the Delta by one, I now hold well.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Too windy to go sailing & getting a bit bored are we????
    Stop trying to wind everyone up, just because you are going cold turkey
    Up to a point, Lord Copper! Besides the weather, and not being allowed to play in the sandbox (!) I want to make the point that some people have a sort of fear of anchoring, and so they feel that they have to buy the latest and the best kit, when really it's one of the very easiest things to do in a boat, and very seldom goes wrong.

Ive found that the further you go from the UK, the more common anchring is. Probably a lot to do with less mud (not always) more settled weather and much less tidal range.

Best thing I ever fitted to my liveaboard yacht is an electric windlass. And a CQR!!!!

My experience of anchoring is that Iíve never changed the anchor Iíve acquired with the each boat Iíve owned, a CQR, two Danforths and a Delta.

All of them did the job and none dragged once set. But in the UK I didnít anchor that often and never really wanted to test them in reverse in case they dragged - which fortunately they didnít.

Chartering in Caribbean and Med then having my own boat for the last decade in the Med I found Iíve anchored most of the time, always test the seabed by high reverse and have seen quite a few dodgy settings by snorkelling - and thatís weed, cracks in rocks holding the anchor and layers of sand over smooth rock.

Technique is almost everything, I think, but the last few percent must be the anchor type. And it would be good to have an anchor that set in a shorter distance than the 3-4 meters that the Delta takes.

I dislike marinas so anchor in quiet or not so quiet spots quite a lot.

I have lost one bruce fouled on barge mooring chain but retrieved from the thameside at LW.
    I have lost one bruce when chain wrapped round keel and I had to cut it and its pickup buoy free to move. I buoyed the chain but it pulled under.
    I lost another bruce when it jambed in underwater reef. Lifeboat offered to try for me and started to pull its bows under.
    I bought 3rd boat with CQR and dragged badly in Blue Anchor mud. Bought Bruce but dragged ferryside in 2kts tide and saw 50m long furrow in the hard sand at low tide. Thats why its called still a plough!
    Bought fourth boat and got anchor dragging in Barry Harbour as not enough scope to cope with 12m rise. My bad.
    Got Bruce anchor dragging slightly off Tresco in exposed F6, so set CQR as 2nd anchor. Bought Manson Supreme as bad weather backup as could clearly see why it would work better. Sat out F8+ and slept well with chain snubbed
    Got fifth boat with CQR and had irritating anchor setting issues at Edgecomb which delayed me getting to eating house. Bought Bruce for that boat and also moved Manson Supreme to newer boat. Sent CQR to use as kedge on old boat.

Conclusion CQRs are rubbish in soft mud and not brilliant in penetrating weed or very hard sand.
    Bruce are excellent in all mud and excellent in hard ground if you can get them to set. Only very very slightly better in weeds than CQR
    Manson Supreme are excellent in all conditions but overkill and dig up large weighty chunks of seafloor for removal at the bow roller.
    Tripping lines only work in calm waters, clear seas and maybe not even then and dont half tangle things up on occasions.
    Last edited by oldmanofthehills; 06-08-19 at 16:27.
    A boat is for going places

I agree that lines are usually best avoided.

The Hiscock loop of chain trick should work on any anchor where the chain can slide down the shank - not Danforth types, though.

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast