Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

Default Re: Deliberately starting an anchor thread.

Minn some time back didn't you have a thread running re your was thinking of going off cruising ?
    If that's still your plain here a hit of advise you can take or leave , unless you plain to cruiser from one marina to the Next , forget what written Here by people who almost anchor in the same spot each week , get your self a good anchor there many about , it don't have to be a Rocna altho ours is and i am very happy with it , forget what we reading now about getting a smaller anchor and get one size bigger then recommended especially if your boat is on the board line , I assure when the day comes you get caught out and it will happen you be happy with what keeping you put .
    edit spelling need d seeing too
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 13-08-19 at 17:25.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Within 3 months in southern Spain it was given a good home , it did a good job holding the bar door open .
    This is a very common finding.

Almost all anchor designs work well in medium mud, or softish sand. In some cruising grounds these type of substrates prodominate. Cruising sailors cannot understand why their beloved anchor model no longer works if they cruise further afield.

I hope the photos of anchors refusing to set in the harder sand of Mediterranean make some impact, but I suspect many need to experience this for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Minn some time back didn't you have a thread running re your was thinking of going off cruising ?
    If that's still your plain here a hit of advise you can take or leave , unless you plain to cruiser from one marina to the Next , forget what written Here by people who almost anchor in the same spot each week , get your self a good anchor there many a about , it don't have to be a Rocna altho ours us and i am very happy with it , forget what we reading now about getting a smaller anchor and get one size bigger then recommended especially if your boat is on the board line , I assure when the day comes you get caught out and it will happen you be happy with what keeping you put .
    Good advice for anyone thinking of heading off cruising.

You won't find many long term cruisers living mostly on the hook that would disagree with the above, need to ask on web forums for that.

I have seen Fortress on the bow rollers of yachts on the east coat of America. Some do seem to be used - as they have some mud on the fluke. I also see Fortress in many parts of the world, on long term cruising yachts, with Fortress strapped, somewhere, handy.

I think, as mentioned, easy availability is a prime reason for choice - if the marina has a Rocna stockist - expect to see many/most of the 2nd Gen anchors to be Rocna. This then becomes self generating - if your neighbours have a specific anchor (and its the only one instantly available) then what would you choose?

There are national buying patterns as well, more Spade and Brittanys in France (and the French Pacific Islands) and those Fortress in America. I have noted that some new yachts sourced from France are commissioned, for Australia, with either Kobra or Brittany - which I assume were delivered with the yacht - similarly the Amel had a Spade.

Basically distribution to retailers (as well as what might be cheapest on commissioning) plays a key role (and the payment terms imposed on or extended to the distributor).

This might change if Lewmar get their act together with their distribution of their LFX fluke anchor and their Epsilon - as they have an enviable global reach.

Now why there are so many Bugel copies in the Med is interesting. Its not an overly powerful (in terms of hold) design - but is very common, of varying sizes, shapes and dimensions. Maybe there are small local fabricators knocking them off cheap. Why they might be chosen in preference to other designs is the mystery - maybe very, very cheap. Their popularity seems to contradict the comment that many anchorages have 'difficult' seabeds - though maybe the owners simply marina hop.

Jonathan

But just because an anchor is, apparently, popular does not means its a good anchor.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213