Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Deliberately starting an anchor thread.

I spent maybe a thousand nights at anchor in the last decade. A third of that with the Uncequr anchor until I gave it away to a local. The rest of the nights were with an oversized Rocna. You couldn’t pay me enough to take the Uncequr back. It’s crap in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I spent maybe a thousand nights at anchor in the last decade. A third of that with the Uncequr anchor until I gave it away to a local. The rest of the nights were with an oversized Rocna. You couldn’t pay me enough to take the Uncequr back. It’s crap in comparison.
    By definition it was too small. Any type anchor will work if you buy a big enough one!
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I have been poking about in my bookcase.

The Hiscocks carried two 35lbs CQRs in Wanderer III, with 45 fathoms of 5/16” chain, no windlass.

He records that they dragged twice, at English Harbour (q.v.!) in soft mud and at Ascension Island in volcanic cinders.

HW Tilman carried a 60lbs CQR as his bower anchor with a 112lbs Fisherman, a 45lbs CQR and a 25lbs CQR as spares (we lost the last three getting off in Freemansund).
    Wonder what they would use today.........

Am I the only person on this forum who has a NG anchor that isnt oversized? We have a well used spade selected off the Spade selection chart. It sets. It holds. We sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    Am I the only person on this forum who has a NG anchor that isnt oversized? We have a well used spade selected off the Spade selection chart. It sets. It holds. We sleep.
    Suspect you're not. I've a 20Kg rocna which was near flawless for years though now a size up 25kg spade as well. Both just work. Other than a few quid no downside to having a bit bigger as one of the options.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Suspect you're not. I've a 20Kg rocna which was near flawless for years though now a size up 25kg spade as well. Both just work. Other than a few quid no downside to having a bit bigger as one of the options.
    I’m oversized too. It’s a total no-brainer.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Going back to 1911, here’s what Claud Worth has to say:

Design of anchors:

And sizing of anchors and chain:

Minn,

Bizarre!

Claud suggests a 45lb, for a 7t vessel, what I might have called a Fisheman (nee Nicholson) that has a hold 50% of a CQR/Delta/Bruce and the triumvate have half the hold of a 2nd gen, Spade et al. The size of the recommended anchor for our cat is about 45lb, whether Fisherman, 1st gen or 2nd gen. Chain size is the same. We chose to go down a size when we chose our 2nd Gen anchor - in good company with Geem and a silent number of others.

Go figure

Geem's experience is interesting as though anchors are defined, usually, by weight - a Spade has a smaller surface area compared to a Rocna (and I suspect Supreme) for the same weight. Spade also tend to recommend slightly smaller anchors, by weight - than Rocna, Supreme and Excel - this difference become more marked as the anchors (or vessel) get bigger. This is taken to the extreme with Mantus, which has no ballast, whereas Rocna and Supreme (and obviously Spade and Excel) are ballasted. Many people believe surface area is the key to hold, a slightly questionable conclusion when one thinks of Spade (and Mantus - which has low hold for its area).

Its design, not weight.

No wonder people make anchors - there is money in it.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Having been critical of others - possibly you can outline, preferably with some examples - so much better than gut feel, of the upside to your larger investment. Like lambs to the slaughter (and I'm sure there is something comparable in 'Animal Farm' ) people follow the adage that 'bigger is better'- i am very happy to believe you are correct - but I'd prefer something substantial to underpin the assertion. I'm a bit more canny with my cash.

Because I say so - does not cut much ice - actually it cuts no ice - for me and a number of others.

What I find of long term cruisers, contrary to what you say - they carry the recommended sized anchors and a number of spares of different designs. There are exceptions - some carry anchors so big they are really portable moorings (and rave about their anchors and repetitively imply one should follow their example).

Equally interesting those in the 'bigger is better' camp have an evangelical zeal - and have no time for the silent majority (and a few here are not silent but not strident either). For the bigger is better camp - its black and white - or as articulated a 'no brainer'. I am happy to accept I am, lucky, and wrong (but would like evidence of my faults) - those in the 'bigger is better' camp have no time for those of us with luck on our side, they are right - there is no debate to be tolerated - despite examples to the contrary.

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 07-08-19 at 23:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    The Northhill was held in high esteem by Bob Griffith (Ahwanee”). Unlike the CQR, which was used by RAF Sunderlands. it really was intended for flying boats. A real swine to stow and probably extinct now.

Our Victorian forebears seem to have gone through a phase of being as obsessed with anchors as we are, but theirs were all variations on the Fisherman theme - the Trotman, which had hinged palms, etc.

I notice that the CQRs sold by Lewmar have fabricated shanks; no more drop forging. Sic transit British Heavy Industry.
    You can see Northhills or variants on big fishing in the Pacific Islands. I've never seen an original, or don't know I have, the ones I see look welded up variants.

Thinwater uses one - because if folds flat for his flat locker.

No longer are CQRs proudly embossed 'Made in Scotland' but fabricated in China (I believe Qiungdao where the Delta has been made for some decades).

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 07-08-19 at 22:56.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast