Default Lochmaddy, Mooring buoys removed

The 2 moorings buoys off the pontoon are no more; a pity as they provided a bit of spare capacity when busy, and it was more comfortable being on one, compared to the pontoon, when it blew up a bit.

The buoys in Ardmaddy bay are still there (I'm on one).

Default Re: Lochmaddy, Mooring buoys removed

Quote Originally Posted by Minchsailor View Post
    The 2 moorings buoys off the pontoon are no more; a pity as they provided a bit of spare capacity when busy, and it was more comfortable being on one, compared to the pontoon, when it blew up a bit.

I agree - you cannot lie to the weather at a pontoon as well as a mooring. I'm sure part of the reasoning is that they can charge more for the new set up. I'm sure moorings don't make a lot of money. I was in there in early July, with plenty of space, though rafting is almost possible on some berths. Previous trip was almost 7 or 8 years ago when there were a good half dozen moorings.
    Increasingly I listen to people who do not have a dinghy and simply won't visit places without pontoons/showers/washing machines etc..
    Fine by me - it keeps some traffic out of anchorages.

Ardmaddy Bay is a long way from the Lochmaddy Hotel - specials are lovely today

N

The eastern one did us well a couple of weeks ago during a SW blow.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

We have been to Lochmaddy a couple of times and used the moorings on each occasion as our boat - a Nic 43 - has no inclination to go astern in a direction that the helm requires. Even in flat calm. The pontoons are too tight for us and we also prefer to lie to wind and keep things calm down below. The last time we were there we were storm-bound for two days and felt very smug watching those on the pontoons being battered to hell.

I do think that people are less and less inclined to anchor, which suits us fine - I’d much rather have an anchor deployed in a blow than sit on a pontoon or a dodgy visitors mooring. We picked up a mooring in Eriskay earlier this week but I don’t reckon they’ve been checked since we first went there about 10 years ago. Hence no charge for them that I could see?

If it had been blowing I’d have forsaken it for our anchor.