Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KAD44 EDC

Default KAD44 EDC

Hello guys,

I am a new member here and thought I might have some help here regarding my boat engines that are installed in Cranchi Smeraldo37 YR2000.
    The engines are 2x KAD44 EDC

Yesterday we have experienced a strange problem on the port side engine and I am very worried about this;
    after left the engine running on idling until the supercharger kicked out, we selected the Neutral button so to ref the engine to check that we have no water leakages (after cleaning the main cooler and the heat exchanger). While the mechanic was managing the throttle by playing up and down to ref the engine, the engine went on high refs by itself and the ref limiter didn't cut off. We had to turn off the engine.

We noticed that this happened only when playing with the throttle up and down. Its like something got confused.

However I am very worried as this might happen while berthing on forward or reverse, as at this point it can be very dangerous.

Any help about what can cause this problem to happen please.
    Your help is highly appreciated!

Default Re: KAD44 EDC

Smeraldo, I have the same issue with my boat. I haven't identified the cause yet but have an opinion on what I think it might be.

I will wait for others more knowledgeable to chip in before I make an opinion.

Hi Petem, thanks fro your feedback. This problem is a big head ache.

Today I've been told it can be a problem from the governor arm installed in the diesel pump that is getting stuck when playing up and down very frequently with the throttle.

But still have to check more about this.

Anyone got an opinion?

Does it happen every time you try Erving the engine in neutral or very rarely? I suspect a software glitch

Actually we tried twice and in both actions it diid the same thing again. But it works normal when giving gas slowly.

I was wondering if it could be a knackered throttle / control potentiometer. Might be worth changing for the sake of £20.

I am ready to change it no matter how much it cost but Ive been told by the mechanics that the potentiometer in throttle only controls the forward and reverse and have nothing to so with this issue

Quote Originally Posted by Smeraldo View Post
    I am ready to change it no matter how much it cost but Ive been told by the mechanics that the potentiometer in throttle only controls the forward and reverse and have nothing to so with this issue
    No, the potentiometer also controls revs. I'd be interested to know what they think controls the revs if they think the potentiometer doesn't. (There's a clue in the name, they are also called "throttle position sensors".)
    Last edited by petem; 11-08-19 at 08:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeraldo View Post
    Hi Petem, thanks fro your feedback. This problem is a big head ache.

Today I've been told it can be a problem from the governor arm installed in the diesel pump that is getting stuck when playing up and down very frequently with the throttle.

But still have to check more about this.
    Don't whatever you do let them force you into a new pump at €7000 without a second opinion and without investigating whether it can be repaired.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast