Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KAD44 EDC

Default Re: KAD44 EDC

I see thanks for your advice. Tell u the truth when o have been told that the potentiometer have nothing to do with revs i asked how then the throttle can control the revs. So as u said i believe the potentiometer also controls the revs.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeraldo View Post
    Hello guys,

I am a new member here and thought I might have some help here regarding my boat engines that are installed in Cranchi Smeraldo37 YR2000.
    The engines are 2x KAD44 EDC

Yesterday we have experienced a strange problem on the port side engine and I am very worried about this;
    after left the engine running on idling until the supercharger kicked out, we selected the Neutral button so to ref the engine to check that we have no water leakages (after cleaning the main cooler and the heat exchanger). While the mechanic was managing the throttle by playing up and down to ref the engine, the engine went on high refs by itself and the ref limiter didn't cut off. We had to turn off the engine.

We noticed that this happened only when playing with the throttle up and down. Its like something got confused.

However I am very worried as this might happen while berthing on forward or reverse, as at this point it can be very dangerous.

Any help about what can cause this problem to happen please.
    Your help is highly appreciated!
    Re calibrate the throttles for a start .
    Swap the engine ecu s over then re calibrate the throttles if the issues persists.

Do not touch the injection pump

Thanks will calibrate the throttles from the manual first.

Smeraldo, any news? My KAD44 started reving in gear today at tickover. Also making black smoke indicating overfueling. Shut engine down, switched off batteries to reset fault code and restarted engine. All fine again. Mechanic suspects MAF sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Smeraldo, any news? My KAD44 started reving in gear today at tickover. Also making black smoke indicating overfueling. Shut engine down, switched off batteries to reset fault code and restarted engine. All fine again. Mechanic suspects MAF sensor.
    Mass Air Flow sensor is a petrol engine thing , to assist the ECU with the correct fuel ratio mixture .

I didnít realise older style diesels like yours have them ?

Petem, actually we only did a reset since we think the problem we had was only caused by revving up and down very quickly the throttle on neutral. This could have made either the potentiometer (in throttle) or the governor (in fuel pump) malfunctioning. I am now very carefully monitoring before changing any parts.

For your problem its very dangerous I would start changing the potentiometer since I was told that only these two parts control the revs, the potentiometer and the governor. I dont know about the MAF sensor, no one ever mentioned this to me.

Let us know how you dealt with this.

I didnt found this part Mass airflow sensor in any exploded view are you sure this exist in KAD44-P B
    Last edited by Smeraldo; 17-08-19 at 07:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeraldo View Post
    For your problem its very dangerous I would start changing the potentiometer since I was told that only these two parts control the revs, the potentiometer and the governor. I dont know about the MAF sensor, no one ever mentioned this to me.

Let us know how you dealt with this.

I didnt found this part Mass airflow sensor in any exploded view are you sure this exist in KAD44-P B
    My engineer is convinced that it's not the Potentiometer as the symptom is erratic revs and black smoke suggesting overfueling. It's not causing the boat to accelerate or anything like that so not an immediate danger.

Frustratingly it's only happened once in around nine starts from cold so I've not been able to get my engineer on board to witness it himself. Incidentally, shutting down the engine and switching the battery off to reset the EDC allowed us to restart the engine with no symptoms.

As Porto and you say, there is no MAF sensor for the KAD44 but there are a whole load of other sensors that could be the culprit.

When I experienced the issue on Thursday it did log an fault on the EDC so he'll be plugging in Vodia to get the code. I hope that might shed more light on the issue.

Watch this space!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12