Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dufour 36 Classic

Wife and I are looking for a boat at long last

Came across the Dufour 36 Classic and looks right for the two of us.

We like the proper double bed and on the 2 cabin version the big locker.

As the boats that are available are some distance away from us does anyone have any comments regarding sailing ability for the two of us , sea worthiness, etc.

Will be sailing her on the West coast of Scotland

Thanks in advance for any comments good or bad.
    Regards
    Graham

Default Re: Dufour 36 Classic

Nice boats.

I like the Dufour Classics.
    John Rodriguez Yachts - Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

Friends had a 35 Classic

It was a nice boat which to my mind was better fitted out than the average French production boat and sailed well without being spectacular.

We have our 36Classic for nearly 8 years and are very happy with it. The boat has been across the Atlantic and back with a previous owner. We have extensively toured around Ireland, Scotland and then down to Med. It’s the right size for 2 with occasional visitors. I’m happy to answer any specific questions, etc.

I agree that the Dufour Classic series in various sizes are nicer finished than the equivalent Beneteau, Jeanneau and Bavaria equivalents. I have not sailed one, but like all modern production boats they rely on hull form for much of their stability, with quite a low ballast ratio.

Seaworthy: yes as long as the sea is not the North Atlantic in a real storm. As a coastal cruiser I'd have one very happily. In fact if a good one had been available at a similar or even a bit higher price when I bought an almost-new Jeanneau SO35 in 2005 I'd have gone for the Dufour. Another plus for the Dufour is that AFAIK the deep keel versions have lead keels.

Both Dufour 36s and Jeanneau 35s have done transatlantic passages, but neither are boats I'd choose for that. For that I'd want either a design with slightly higher ballast ratio on a 35-36 footer or a bigger modern boat - size matters in severe weather. Maybe I'm sensitive about ballast but I have been inverted, and 50% ballast righted it fast.

West Coast of Scotland: it's one characteristic which I'm sure you know about is williwaws: if you are accustomed to old-fashioned narrower boats you will dislike the inability to track on when a big gust coming down from the hills hits. Modern boats don't just heel more and keep going, at a certain (not extreme) point they start to fight the helm and then round up. But it's the trade-off you make for a spacious interior at a mass-production price.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

We nearly bought one a few years back new...

Nice boats, the classic range have aged well, and are well screwed together.
    The 36 isn’t the sharpest performer, so if your after something a bit sporty, probably not he best choice.

The problem for us now, and why it’s “off my list” is that it’s not a great boat for short/single handing. The foresail winches are positioned far forward on the cockpit coamings so the helm can’t manage those as well, so even if you go to a German system with the mainsheet, your still going to need a second person to manage the foresail.

I think for a husband and wife team, that’s a consideration that should be made.

Contrast this with the winch positioning on the Bavaria 34/36 of the same era, you either have them back by the helm, ala the 34, or you can have them in either position ala the 36.

FYI if you like the 36 classsic then you might also look to see if you can get a good Bavaria 34 circa 2000... that’s a CE cat A boat with Lloyd’s build certificate... also look at the Dehler 35 CR, or if going a bit more money the Starlight 35. ( this would be my top choice tbh..)

Check engine room access, stick your arms in there and see if you can access everything that needs accessing (filters, fillers, drains, bleed screws, etc.). Dufour had some funny ideas about that at times (designed by gnomes with octopus arms I suspect).

I have owned a 36 Classic for 18 years and am very happy with it, based in Corfu but would not particularly want to cross Atlantic in one!
    Engine very easy to access on 2 cabin version as there is a large removable cover in cabin as well as usual cover in saloon.
    Very roomy boat and we are usually sailing as a couple. Enormous amount of storage space.
    In all a good boat.
    Charles

We have a Dufour 38 Classic - very happy with the boat.

Does what it says on the tin.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    We have a Dufour 38 Classic - very happy with the boat.

Does what it says on the tin.
    A quick questiOn about the 38, related to my previous... I could have sworn I have seen a 38 with a second set of winches quiet far aft within reach of the helm, is it possible to do that?

I have been looking for a larger three cabin boat in that sort of size and the 38 would be my first choice if that’s possible...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast