Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Dufour 36 Classic

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post

The problem for us now, and why it’s “off my list” is that it’s not a great boat for short/single handing. The foresail winches are positioned far forward on the cockpit coamings so the helm can’t manage those as well, so even if you go to a German system with the mainsheet, your still going to need a second person to manage the foresail.

I think for a husband and wife team, that’s a consideration that should be made.

Contrast this with the winch positioning on the Bavaria 34/36 of the same era, you either have them back by the helm, ala the 34, or you can have them in either position ala the 36.
    Thatís interesting - as a husband and wife team we prefer everything up on the cabin roof by the companionway.

I wouldnít want to go back to the wheel or lean over the water on the downside to adjust ropes.

I think its because we donít hand steer except coming and out of harbour so itís all sail adjustments within an arms reach either side from an upright position with best leverage over the winches. So the reefs,vang, halyards and sheets are all there in front of you.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    That’s interesting - as a husband and wife team we prefer everything up on the cabin roof by the companionway.

I wouldn’t want to go back to the wheel or lean over the water on the downside to adjust ropes.

I think its because we don’t hand steer except coming and out of harbour so it’s all sail adjustments within an arms reach either side from an upright position with best leverage over the winches. So the reefs,vang, halyards and sheets are all there in front of you.
    I’m a tweaker and either am solo or might as well be..

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    I’m a tweaker and either am solo or might as well be..
    Same here and we are serial solo sailors - passing each other on the stairs.

What Iíve found is that I can tweak all the bits - especially maintrack and jib cars - if Iím up with all the controls moving from side to side checking the sails - not behind the wheel.

Of course Iím sometimes just reading a book and eating a sandwich but when thereís occasionally a boat in sight I can amuse myself by getting a bit racy.

Quote Originally Posted by Happilyoverforty View Post
    Wife and I are looking for a boat at long last

Came across the Dufour 36 Classic and looks right for the two of us.

We like the proper double bed and on the 2 cabin version the big locker.

As the boats that are available are some distance away from us does anyone have any comments regarding sailing ability for the two of us , sea worthiness, etc.

Will be sailing her on the West coast of Scotland

Thanks in advance for any comments good or bad.
    Regards
    Graham
    I sailed a Dufour Classic 36 from the UK to the Eastern Med a few years back. I really liked the yacht, she felt solid and sailed well. Great storage and a sensibe lay out. No issues at all en route, we were all impressed.

Pete
    International Yacht Delivery.

http://www.halcyonyachts.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12