Default New Moorings on Rum

Ten new visitor moorings have been laid in Loch Scresort, Rum. There is an honesty box for payments at the Information Centre just along the path from the old jetty. The moorings are east of the usual anchoring ground which is thus still available to those who prefer to anchor.

Default Re: New Moorings on Rum

Good to know as I hope to visit in the autumn.

I am generally a supporter of having visitor moorings in most places - particularly where space is limited, depth too deep or holding too poor for anchoring.

However Rum seems a bad place for visitor moorings for two reasons:
    - there is a huge area of great anchoring with constant depths and good grip, easiest of places to anchor IF the wind is from the right direction
    - for people without the experience / confidence to anchor in such an easy place, they are liable to think a mooring being there it is suitable to use in most conditions - but the moorings will also be horribly exposed in any wind from the East, and rolly in many other conditions
    So these won’t help the moderately experience visitors, and potentially lead to problems with the less experienced (like my similar worry about the exposed new moorings on Tiree).

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    I am generally a supporter of having visitor moorings in most places - particularly where space is limited, depth too deep or holding too poor for anchoring.

However Rum seems a bad place for visitor moorings for two reasons:
    - there is a huge area of great anchoring with constant depths and good grip, easiest of places to anchor IF the wind is from the right direction
    - for people without the experience / confidence to anchor in such an easy place, they are liable to think a mooring being there it is suitable to use in most conditions - but the moorings will also be horribly exposed in any wind from the East, and rolly in many other conditions
    So these won’t help the moderately experience visitors, and potentially lead to problems with the less experienced (like my similar worry about the exposed new moorings on Tiree).
    I've anchored there and I agree with that, definitely not a place to get trapped, and I was slightly on the qui vive that night. Poised for movement at short notice.

I agree with @Dunedin on this. Loch Scresort must be one of the easiest places to anchor- moderate depths, excellent sticky mud, lack of weed (try finding a weed free patch in Canna).

I believe the moorings have been provided by the fish farm guys; possibly a sop to the local community?.