Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which dock hose

Question Which dock hose

I've been using this retractable hose for three years now, and I can only recommend it.
    More expensive, but MUCH better than any other green or blue things with a very tiny rubber hose inside a sort of nylon cloth, which depending on the dock pressure last anywhere from one single usage to very few.

Otoh, I'm struggling to find a good traditional (i.e. flexible, but non-extendable) hose that can withstand permanent exposure to sunlight.
    I bought the one I'm currently using last year, and it's already beginning to lose flexibility and get sticky on the external surface.
    And according to the garden center where I bought it, it was the best quality, grrr...
    So, did you folks ever find a hose that can be left exposed to the sun (proper Med sun, I mean... ) 24/7 and doesn't need replacing every other season?
    TIA!

Default Re: Which dock hose

I bought one of these from the range 3 years ago , itís been absolutely perfect !

https://www.therange.co.uk/garden/ho...ay-gun/#248523

ďSuper tricoflex ď that yellow hose last forever itís 15 y .

Others arenít nowhere near as quality.

It coils easy too .i

Thanks folks, but just to clarify better:
    I'm not looking for a retractable hose - the one I linked in my OP was just meant as a side comment, and it works well for me, so I don't need another one.
    But I only take it out when I need it, so it spends 99.9% of its life empty, unpressurized, and stored away.
    The one I leave 24/7 exposed to the sun and pressurized is for my connection to the dockside water supply.
    That is the hose which wears out relatively quickly (i.e., losing a bit of flexibility and, most importantly, becoming sticky on its surface).

Porto, the yellow one which you posted might be fine for my needs, but did you ever leave it exposed for several months?
    That's the specific condition which most rubber hoses seem to suffer, in the not so long run.
    Btw, I used to have a yellow hose that looked like yours several years ago, and it was no exception, though I can't for the life of me remember if it was branded as Super Tricoflex or whatever...

PS: time to reupholster your cushions, I reckon...

P, our local swindlery sells a silver coloured hose that looks a bit 'marine' ish (priced accordingly).

I'll ask the guy if they go sticky and let you know the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post

Porto, the yellow one which you posted might be fine for my needs, but did you ever leave it exposed for several months?
    That's the specific condition which most rubber hoses seem to suffer, in the not so long run.
    Btw, I used to have a yellow hose that looked like yours several years ago, and it was no exception, though I can't for the life of me remember if it was branded as Super Tricoflex or whatever...

PS: time to reupholster your cushions, I reckon...

I don’t know it’s exact uv resistance if permanently left out .Experience ( same as you ) tells me permanent Med sun exposure destroys most things if unprotected .

Yup a recover is coming down the rails , hence relocating to IT
    We are still undecided on the colour or material .
    I have sourced the original OEM supplier a firm in Venice .
    Our Itama group on FB has a few deviations from the OEM White and tbo they all look good , hence the indecisiveness .

Next season or the one after .......”””

I have the white Trycoflex (sp) hose, but not for dockside connection. If I leave it out in the sun pressurised for a day or so, the water that comes out has a really strong chemical smell. I wouldn't use it for a perm connection

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I have the white Trycoflex (sp) hose, but not for dockside connection. If I leave it out in the sun pressurised for a day or so, the water that comes out has a really strong chemical smell. I wouldn't use it for a perm connection
    Oh yeh I forgot to mention early onset Alzheimer’s and increased cancer risk with phenols leaching out of your dock hoses , theses in the permanent connection camp .
    I’d have thought my pathogen scare would have been enough to refrain?

I cannot comment on hose left in med conditions but garden hoses are not good, you need "Food grade" hoses like this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Food-Grad...-/271261504302

I would base my search on food grade hoses then call the supplier for clarity.

Interesting suggestion, MrB. I also like the colour, btw!
    Among other features, the following sound reassuring with regard to what I'm looking for:
    1) -20c to +65c Temperature Safe
    2) Will not be affected by UV rays
    No idea about what BS6066 & ISO5774 compliance means, though.

Anyhow, unless anyone else can confirm first hand the durability of some other products, I guess I might as well give that a try.
    It ain't a big investment anyway, and the worst that can happen is that it only lasts as much as any other hoses, I suppose...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast