Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Bow thruster opinions

Quote Originally Posted by curiouskb View Post
    Both my flybridbe and lower helm Sidepower plastic switches broke after a few years use as the plastic aged and became brittle. Rather expensive replacement.
    mine are 6 years old now, lower one like new, upper one faded but perfect order.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    mine are 6 years old now, lower one like new, upper one faded but perfect order.
    Mine are probably 20 years old and still in very good condition.

Kinda weird reading about issues from a premium manufacturer in a thread asking about a budget manufacturer
    Interesting and reassuring that no one has come on to say Quicke are the worst thing ever thanks for all the info I think I know my winter project now

Just to add my two penneth. I had a bit of a problem with the grp tunnel in my 32' motorboat recently. It had weakened over years of use where the thruster bolted through, to the extent that I levered the thruster right out by hand with grp still attached to the bolts! To cut a long storey short I glassed in a new tunnel and also replaced the very elderly Vetus thruster. I went for a Max Power unit simply because it had an all plastic gearbox so no future issues with anodes or corrosion to worry about. I bought the single prop CT60 which cost c1200. The new thruster is braced in position to avoid any flexing damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    Kinda weird reading about issues from a premium manufacturer in a thread asking about a budget manufacturer
    Interesting and reassuring that no one has come on to say Quicke are the worst thing ever thanks for all the info I think I know my winter project now
    Keep us updated with your progress. Hope it all goes well, I presume you’ll be doing the installation?

We have had a quick from new and it's fine just slow to lower but I guess you have a tunnel so lowering isn't an issue. If you fit one just remember anode replacement which I guess you will . As as others have side go for size upgrade if budget permits. Some photos of work might be of interest to others of course

hey can anyone help i have a simple boat off fishing and i want to put on it a good engine to make it faster

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-i View Post
    Just to add my two penneth. I had a bit of a problem with the grp tunnel in my 32' motorboat recently. It had weakened over years of use where the thruster bolted through, to the extent that I levered the thruster right out by hand with grp still attached to the bolts! To cut a long storey short I glassed in a new tunnel and also replaced the very elderly Vetus thruster. I went for a Max Power unit simply because it had an all plastic gearbox so no future issues with anodes or corrosion to worry about. I bought the single prop CT60 which cost c1200. The new thruster is braced in position to avoid any flexing damage.
    You should have good service from this brand, I know of a local commercial boat that had bow and stern Max Power's fitted in 2004, working over 50 weeks per annum, 7 days a week, up to 8 departures per day and complicated manoeuvres requiring thruster adjustment each cruise.
    Still on original motors, but bow has had minor internal motor refurb.
    On that basis, on a recreational boat, your new installation should last a few lifetimes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234