Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north ayrshire
    Posts
    438

    Default Bow thruster opinions

    Thinking of fitting a bow thruster to our regal 3760 37ft sports cruiser around 8 tonnes
    Seen a Quicke manufactured kit at a good price but never heard of them. Anyone any experience with them or alternative suggestion for a sensibly priced kit looking at a 185mm tunnel size
    Cheers
    Ken

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    15,469

    Default Re: Bow thruster opinions

    Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    Thinking of fitting a bow thruster to our regal 3760 37ft sports cruiser around 8 tonnes
    Seen a Quicke manufactured kit at a good price but never heard of them. Anyone any experience with them or alternative suggestion for a sensibly priced kit looking at a 185mm tunnel size
    Cheers
    Ken
    I’d speak to Simon Blackaller from Sleipner (Sidepower). He’s a good bloke who’s given me great service and solved a few big issues at minimal cost. I’ll PM you his number.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Surrey and Gosport UK
    Posts
    1,597

    Default Re: Bow thruster opinions

    If you want to know more about Quick bowthrusters issues you might see if there a Hanse owners site wher a psot might help as my recollection is that Hanse fit this make as standard (presumably as cheaper than Sidepower) .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north ayrshire
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Bow thruster opinions

    The Quicke thruster is significantly cheaper than the sleipner. Couldnt find much negative on the hanse page apart from general repair stuff. Couldnt see anyone saying they were absolute garbage.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    SoF
    Posts
    9,483

    Default Re: Bow thruster opinions

    I have a Quick bow and stern thruster (and hot water tank and some other stuff) as fitted by the manufacturer of my Beneteau Swift Trawler 34. I did have a problem when the stern truster died (replaced under warranty) but if you read these pages that’s not unusual for any thruster. I don’t know what to say other than they work, and obviously I can’t say if another brand would be better.
    Whatever you choose, choose the biggest you possibly can fit or afford
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north ayrshire
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Bow thruster opinions

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    I have a Quick bow and stern thruster (and hot water tank and some other stuff) as fitted by the manufacturer of my Beneteau Swift Trawler 34. I did have a problem when the stern truster died (replaced under warranty) but if you read these pages that’s not unusual for any thruster. I don’t know what to say other than they work, and obviously I can’t say if another brand would be better.
    Whatever you choose, choose the biggest you possibly can fit or afford
    Hi thanks for that I guess there can be failures with any mechanical item so the odd failure is to be expected, id be concerned if you said you'd had several fail but id put 1 down to bad luck.
    Can I ask you what size is fitted to your swift trawler? Although your slightly shorter id imagine your heavier and more forward windage too yours is probably a good guide to size required for my boat

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    SoF
    Posts
    9,483

    Default Re: Bow thruster opinions

    Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    Hi thanks for that I guess there can be failures with any mechanical item so the odd failure is to be expected, id be concerned if you said you'd had several fail but id put 1 down to bad luck.
    Can I ask you what size is fitted to your swift trawler? Although your slightly shorter id imagine your heavier and more forward windage too yours is probably a good guide to size required for my boat
    I’m hoping to get to my boat tomorrow and will find the information as I’ve forgotten. They are 12 volt (the stern and bow are exactly the same, just the tunnel is different). I have enquired about upgrading my stern thruster as when the wind blows on my short but very tall boat it easily overcomes the thruster. But it’s a complicated and expensive procedure.
    The bow of course moves much easier but come the end of season with a good slime buildup it still feels sluggish
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north ayrshire
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Bow thruster opinions

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    I’m hoping to get to my boat tomorrow and will find the information as I’ve forgotten. They are 12 volt (the stern and bow are exactly the same, just the tunnel is different). I have enquired about upgrading my stern thruster as when the wind blows on my short but very tall boat it easily overcomes the thruster. But it’s a complicated and expensive procedure.
    The bow of course moves much easier but come the end of season with a good slime buildup it still feels sluggish
    Ok thank you the one I had in mind was the 3kw with the 185mm tunnel it is the smallest kw of the larger 185 mm tunnel size thrusters but ive seen several similar boats with only 140mm tunnels
    Thank you for your help

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    River Itchen, Southampton
    Posts
    7,070

    Default Re: Bow thruster opinions

    Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    Ok thank you the one I had in mind was the 3kw with the 185mm tunnel it is the smallest kw of the larger 185 mm tunnel size thrusters but ive seen several similar boats with only 140mm tunnels
    Thank you for your help
    hey Ken.

    The smaller the tunnel, the easier they get barnacled up and the noisier they are. So good choice so far.

    I have sidepower. I fitted it myself, and the advice you will get from Mike at Osmotech (the sell them as well as fitting them) will resolve any issues you might have. He knows everything there is to know and is super helpful.

    The downside with the sidepower it that it has twin props. They say it makes the thrust equal in either direction, but the problem is the area between the props gets barnacled and you can't easily take the prop off in the water. I've done it but its a pain. The barnacles absolutely kill its effectiveness. Thus I'd avoid a twin prop thruster if i was choosing again, but the sidepower is great quality kit.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    SoF
    Posts
    9,483

    Default Re: Bow thruster opinions

    Ok, went to the boat. It’s a Quick BTQ180, which I believe has been superceded by the BTQ185.
    Here’s the installation

    As you can see it’s quite tidy, two batteries in parallel (giving 12v) are close as possible to the thruster (as are the ones in the stern).
    As said before they are perfectly adequate for the bow on a boat our size, but a little under powered for the stern.
    I couldn’t find any information on the tunnel and I’m not due to take the boat out for several months
    Last edited by Bouba; 13-08-19 at 18:12.
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to