Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Bow thruster opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Machaseo View Post
    Hey Ken,
    Just a side note, while you are fitting the thruster, wire up a remote control, I used a set up from RS, RF solutions kit, but any garage door opener types will work fine too. The marine types are just too expensive! Makes it a lot easier when single handing.
    Regards Barry
    Check Ebay for Winch remote control around £10

Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    £1600 + for the kit from vetus where I looked
    Yes sorry, I had stern thruster on my mind when looking.

Fancy that a Bow Thruster thread. Since i got my new project, an inland cruiser of 32 foot, a few have said to me to fit one. I have never been a fan really as i think its best to just learn to control the boat as is, on the outdrive on this boat.

But folk go on about then so much.

Is it worth it for the cruising i do on inland waters, canals and rivers ? it can get tight in places when mooring and turning but then i find it fun doing the manouvers.

If so what size ? I am no rich man either and even £1500 is a bit much.

Admiral Faffer

Quote Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
    Fancy that a Bow Thruster thread. Since i got my new project, an inland cruiser of 32 foot, a few have said to me to fit one. I have never been a fan really as i think its best to just learn to control the boat as is, on the outdrive on this boat.

But folk go on about then so much.

Is it worth it for the cruising i do on inland waters, canals and rivers ? it can get tight in places when mooring and turning but then i find it fun doing the manouvers.

If so what size ? I am no rich man either and even £1500 is a bit much.

Admiral Faffer
    Ive done a faire bit on the much bigger French canals and locks. And a bow thruster is very helpful. The difference between inland and off shore motorboating is that when the wind blows strongly sea boats stay in port. But it doesn’t stop a canal trip, however that’s when you’d be very happy that you have a thruster fitted
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Have you looked at Vetus? I’d guess they are also much less expensive that Side Power.
    Last time I looked at vetus they were single prop. That would make it worth further investigation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Last time I looked at vetus they were single prop. That would make it worth further investigation for me.
    Vetus is about £500 more than the quicke hence considering the quicke its also single prop too

Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    Vetus is about £500 more than the quicke hence considering the quicke its also single prop too
    The Quick are double counter rotating props
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

They are single prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    The Quick are double counter rotating props
    The model Im looking at from quicke is definitely single prop

hey Ken.

The smaller the tunnel, the easier they get barnacled up and the noisier they are. So good choice so far.

I have sidepower. I fitted it myself, and the advice you will get from Mike at Osmotech (the sell them as well as fitting them) will resolve any issues you might have. He knows everything there is to know and is super helpful.

The downside with the sidepower it that it has twin props. They say it makes the thrust equal in either direction, but the problem is the area between the props gets barnacled and you can't easily take the prop off in the water. I've done it but its a pain. The barnacles absolutely kill its effectiveness. Thus I'd avoid a twin prop thruster if i was choosing again, but the sidepower is great quality kit.
    Both my flybridbe and lower helm Sidepower plastic switches broke after a few years use as the plastic aged and became brittle. Rather expensive replacement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast