Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Classic live-aboard able to dry out.

Hi all, new member, first post.

I'm a professional motor-yachtie, recently taken up sailing. I'm researching the possibility of a live-aboard sailing yacht and have a few preferences. I would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Looking at (but swayable):
    - Classic styling.
    - Wooden hull.
    - Coastal cruising.
    - Able to regularly dry out on sand (bilge keel?)
    - Able to sail alone.
    - Berth >4.
    - Up to 46 feet.

To get a bilge-keeled classic yacht, would I have to sacrifice massively on maneuverability?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Classic live-aboard able to dry out.

Perhaps something by Morris Griffiths? Golden Hind? Triple keel,so drys out.

'Classic Boat' website - 'Boats for sale'.
    Last edited by Kingfisher 5; 09-08-19 at 13:47.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Perhaps something by Morris Griffiths? Golden Hind? Triple keel,so drys out.
    That's some interesting further research thank you. I do love the stern overhang inherent to some classics, but there don't see to be any bilge keel options in this field.

Another question: Would a bilge keeler cope well drying out on sand/mud twice a day for 8 months of the year, or would that duration be too much stress for the hull?

Thanks again.

Look at the Wooden Ships brokerage, based in Devon.

How about a barge yacht with leeboards?

It might be difficult to find anything in the UK but I believe they are stil built in Holland.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Drying out level is a big ask, it cuts down your choices by about 95%, how about legs?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Drying out level is a big ask, it cuts down your choices by about 95%, how about legs?
    Local bloke bought a Jeaneu 'Flirt' (Don't ask, but it has a big kiss on the mainsail..) Wanted legs to moor at Fouras Nord ( drying slightly soft area, not in a direct swell area. Locals said 'Don't' it might break the boat up.
    Inference is that it is OK up tidal creeks, but not where you might experience sea effects.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Local bloke bought a Jeaneu 'Flirt' (Don't ask, but it has a big kiss on the mainsail..) Wanted legs to moor at Fouras Nord ( drying slightly soft area, not in a direct swell area. Locals said 'Don't' it might break the boat up.
    Inference is that it is OK up tidal creeks, but not where you might experience sea effects.
    I've got legs but never use them in case they hurt the boat. It would have to be a known flat sandy bottom and guaranteed smooth water, and when does that happen.
    I was tied up next to Flirt in Ramsgate several years ago, pink painted hull? made everyone smile!

You might find something like a smack, or a bawley , converted to a yacht would work. They are massively built and do dry out with legs. But I reckon it might be a lot of work rigging and removing the size of legs a boat like that would have. If you can live with grp take a look at yachts built by Terry Heard, but not as big as you are looking for.
    Maybe look at boats in the Netherlands? I do actually know a really nice wooden barge yacht for sale, but shes about 32 feet approx. Dries out flat and has leeboards. PM me if you want to know more, shes in Kent
    Graham

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast