Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Classic live-aboard able to dry out.

There are rather few good looking classic wooden centreboarders in Britain in the size that you are after.

However, there are quite a few in the States, and given your profession, arrangements for shipping one will hold no terrors for you.

Philip Rhodes is the outstanding designer of the type.

Might be too small for you but I had a friend who lived aboard a Maurice Griffiths «*Kylix*» .
    Last edited by Minn; 13-08-19 at 11:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    There are rather few good looking classic wooden centreboarders in Britain in the size that you are after.

However, there are quite a few in the States, and given your profession, arrangements for shipping one will hold no terrors for you.

Philip Rhodes is the outstanding designer of the type.
    + 1

“Undina “ is an example that is based in U.K. and quite well documented

Re: going astern, if one goes for GRP or metal, fitting a bow-thruster would be within the DIY skills of the OP. Not so easy if wood, unless cold moulded or strip/sheathed.

Thanks again for all of the insight. I must say that I'm thinking I should scrap the bilge keel and wooden hull ideas. They were what the heart wanted but there are loads of great looking classic GRP yachts out there with less to worry about in terms of maintenance.

Might look into a cradle for the home port. Legs are interesting but to leave for work for 10 weeks at a time would be a worry if she were sitting on legs twice a day.

Drying out on a hard bottom reverses the stresses in the structure twice a day, even if the water is always perfectly calm.

I don't know your home port, but, as a working rule if the bottom is sandy, not muddy, it is often because the shelter is less than perfect. Given your work pattern, would it be worth looking at a different home port?

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Drying out on a hard bottom reverses the stresses in the structure twice a day, even if the water is always perfectly calm.

I don't know your home port, but, as a working rule if the bottom is sandy, not muddy, it is often because the shelter is less than perfect. Given your work pattern, would it be worth looking at a different home port?
    You might be right

Quote Originally Posted by grahambaines1987@outlook. View Post
    You might be right
    I have a friend who does what you do and owns the twin of my boat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123