Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Classic live-aboard able to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    There are rather few good looking classic wooden centreboarders in Britain in the size that you are after.

However, there are quite a few in the States, and given your profession, arrangements for shipping one will hold no terrors for you.

Philip Rhodes is the outstanding designer of the type.
    + 1

“Undina “ is an example that is based in U.K. and quite well documented

Re: going astern, if one goes for GRP or metal, fitting a bow-thruster would be within the DIY skills of the OP. Not so easy if wood, unless cold moulded or strip/sheathed.

Thanks again for all of the insight. I must say that I'm thinking I should scrap the bilge keel and wooden hull ideas. They were what the heart wanted but there are loads of great looking classic GRP yachts out there with less to worry about in terms of maintenance.

Might look into a cradle for the home port. Legs are interesting but to leave for work for 10 weeks at a time would be a worry if she were sitting on legs twice a day.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Drying out on a hard bottom reverses the stresses in the structure twice a day, even if the water is always perfectly calm.

I don't know your home port, but, as a working rule if the bottom is sandy, not muddy, it is often because the shelter is less than perfect. Given your work pattern, would it be worth looking at a different home port?

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Drying out on a hard bottom reverses the stresses in the structure twice a day, even if the water is always perfectly calm.

I don't know your home port, but, as a working rule if the bottom is sandy, not muddy, it is often because the shelter is less than perfect. Given your work pattern, would it be worth looking at a different home port?
    You might be right

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by grahambaines1987@outlook. View Post
    You might be right
    I have a friend who does what you do and owns the twin of my boat.

As you have moved away from wood, never a good idea on a drying mooring and even less so with the additional weight of live aboard gear. How about a Southerly and a 110 if you are in a position to do it?

The Southerlys are nice but a little out of my price range.

I think a drying mooring is a fantasy. One being quashed with all the rest.

Southerlies certainly are costly, though the older ones are becoming reasonable. I've sometimes thought the 115, with its roomy aft-cabin, fully-retracting centreplate and inside wheel, is a pleasing, subtly different approach, benefiting from unconventional design.

Whether the drying mooring is practical or fantasy, depends largely on what boat you pick, and where you keep her...

...although plenty of boats (in fact the majority, being fin-keelers) will decide for you, where they need to be moored.

If you really want a boat that can safely dry out upright (I wouldn't consider one that couldn't), then the choice of boats is limited, but not fantasy. If you let yourself be persuaded that you must have one of the fashionable fin keelers that dominate mass-production lines, you will enjoy capable offshore sailing characteristics, but won't be free to properly explore our shallow coastline...

...nor to creek-crawl and wait for the tide in a remote natural harbour, alive with wildfowl and peaceful desolation. I think it's significant that those who say nobody wants to do that, are generally the ones whose boats cannot take them to such places. Perhaps they really wouldn't like it. They're certainly unlikely to find out.

It has been claimed that nobody who can afford a new boat wants an inexpensive drying mooring, they'd rather be at a marina. It may be true - it's rather a relief - there are still plenty of drying moorings for those on limited budgets.

But it all depends on what you want. Marina-to-marina sailing seems to be the most popular kind today, so most new yachts don't need to anchor or stop overnight in a drying harbour, and the designs owe more to Parisian show-homes than to conventional practicality.

Designers and builders have done very well, appealing to the cheque-writers' wives rather than concentrating on the rewarding fun of sailing, navigating, and making landfall in natural places. So, conventionally admired designs and the versatility of twin, triple, or lifting keels, aren't much in vogue today. It may all be just as well, actually - I'd hate it if the beauty-spots were full of other boats.

Last edited by dancrane; 27-08-19 at 23:23.

A small Dutch sailing barge https://www.botenbank.com/zeiljachte...2-45bb22453c1e

should tick all the boxes, not wood but the fitout will be nice

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast