Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: OK to wire a single phase to a 3 phase adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    But if you are going to have two outlets please wire both lives to the same phase. Phase to phase at 400 VAC can seriously damage anything rated for 230 v, especially a human, or a human nearby when the short occurs.

I am surprised a Marina would give the advice they did to a non electrician. Getting this wrong has a very severe penalty.
    I'm with H on this and disagree. As long as you are absolutely sure that you have a neutral on each outlet then it's best to have a different phase live on each.
    2 lives by mistake and you will probably need to go shopping to replace fried stuff.

On the subject of marina electrics.
    I was caught out in the early days when we were given a supply and told that it was 220v - it turned out to be 380v.
    Caused a lot of damage - battery charger etc.
    Since then, I religiously check the power at EVERY marina that I visit.
    I have made up a short wire with a 32a plug on the end - same size and sex as my main power leads.
    I put a UK socket on the other end of the short wire.
    A UK socket like this

Then all I need to do is plug in one of these to check a marina supply BEFORE plugging the boat in.

I also have one of these that I can plug in separately.

Then it is easy to plug a multimeter tester into the three sockets to test - Ground to Live (220/240v or near) - Live to Neutral (220/240v) - and Neutral to Ground (0v or near).

AND I DO THIS TEST EVERY TIME WE VISIT A NEW BERTH.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 09-08-19 at 06:45.

Mark,

Are you enjoying Nice? We have stayed there twice and enjoy the port. There are some great little shops, bars and restaurants really close. If you would like some recommendations let me know.

Two quick ones are a bar called Rosé - guess what their specialty is! 2 The fishmonger who is just up the hill on the street parallel to the port.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mcanderson View Post
    Mark,

Are you enjoying Nice? We have stayed there twice and enjoy the port. There are some great little shops, bars and restaurants really close. If you would like some recommendations let me know.

Two quick ones are a bar called Rosé - guess what their specialty is! 2 The fishmonger who is just up the hill on the street parallel to the port.

Enjoy!
    Yes, we're certainly having fun. I spotted the fishmonger last night and this morning found a good greengrocer and a boulangerie in the same street. We're going to explore the old town this morning until the kids force us to take them to the beach!

That green grocer also has a very good selection of rosé!

There is a small beach near leplongeoir.com so you can drop the kids and then relax whilst they play!

Don’t forget there is a small electric pontu that rams across the port so you don’t have to walk around it and the port office has bikes you can use also.

Dull, but factual the laundry below the port office is good and inexpensive. You get token from the port office and if you join the Riviera Ports VIP club(free) they will give you tokens for a free wash and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by mcanderson View Post
    That green grocer also has a very good selection of rosé!

There is a small beach near leplongeoir.com so you can drop the kids and then relax whilst they play!

Don’t forget there is a small electric pontu that rams across the port so you don’t have to walk around it and the port office has bikes you can use also.

Dull, but factual the laundry below the port office is good and inexpensive. You get token from the port office and if you join the Riviera Ports VIP club(free) they will give you tokens for a free wash and dry.
    We're moored on the quay right next to the little ferry and yes, it's very useful. Laundry good too, used it yesterday. Thanks for the beach tip, I'll check it out!

Quite a few of us anchored at Lerins tomorrow (well, 3 boats) so feel free to join Kids as well as adults. Seabobs all charged up.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Quite a few of us anchored at Lerins tomorrow (well, 3 boats) so feel free to join Kids as well as adults. Seabobs all charged up.
    Thanks, will probably see you tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Force 8 here tomorrow. You can go off people.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Force 8 here tomorrow. You can go off people.
    ?loody hot out here in SC as well.
    Very little wind.
    Been out to the lagoon restaurants today on the RIB.
    Huge danger of sunburn.
    Nice to get back to the air con.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast