Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastnet 2019

Default Fastnet 2019

First Fastnet since 1965 and 1975.

Never again.

Not the conditions, which were wet and not nice although we did pick up a cup, but the loos and showers at Cowes and the temporary village at Plymouth were disgusting.
    What a disgrace as the showcase Regatta start and finish facilities for the UK. What do the visiting boats think of us?
    The boat was cleaner and sweeter.

Race itself also a bit of a follow my leader, going round the TSS s. and easy peasy navigation with GPS and also knowing where everyone else was and what they were experiencing. Can't see a way to improve that or am I viewing to far in the past?

Default Re: Fastnet 2019

Those loos and showers were probably fine until the oiks arrived...

Not many people would define their Fastnet experience based upon the toilet facilities at either end!
    For most it is the bit in between that counts
    But each to their own.

Don't know what Cowes was like as we left for the start from the Hamble, but the facilities in Plymouth were fine as far as I'm concerned - a couple of the loos were blocked early Tuesday morning when we got in, but a guy came out and sorted them within the hour. Never saw any issues with them between then and when I left Wednesday.

Shower facilities in the marina were decent enough - but to be honest, anything would have been good after 5 days in the same clothes!

Quote Originally Posted by Stotty View Post
    Don't know what Cowes was like as we left for the start from the Hamble, but the facilities in Plymouth were fine as far as I'm concerned - a couple of the loos were blocked early Tuesday morning when we got in, but a guy came out and sorted them within the hour. Never saw any issues with them between then and when I left Wednesday. Shower facilities in the marina were decent enough - but to be honest, anything would have been good after 5 days in the same clothes!
    Agree that about anything being better than the wet smelly clothes, for 4/5 days at Plymouth with stinking loos and showers awash. BUT at Cowes and for all the RORC events, yachthaven has ? 6 male loos and ?8 showers for 3000 sailors. There are more loos beyond the doors to the event space but the doors were locked. I still think that that it is not up to standard. Same for all RORC races though. Tip is to use RORC clubhouse, if you are a member.

Try Portland etc for a more pleasant experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Stotty View Post
    Shower facilities in the marina were decent enough - but to be honest, anything would have been good after 5 days in the same clothes!
    Agree! 4.5 days afloat meant i was grateful to use whatever facilities which were available - our boom snapped half way coming back in the Irish Sea - could not use asymmetric pole for most race etc - there is plenty I will remember about this race - long after the standard of loos at either end. As for the OP's boat being cleaner and sweeter than the facilities - could not quite say that was the case on our boat! Anyway back in work today - thrill of competing and memories of some great sailing in some tricky conditions mean that the return to the daily grind is a bit of a chore!
    Last edited by j80; 09-08-19 at 17:00.

does any body have a link to results

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    does any body have a link to results
    https://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/com...uments/results

You should have tried the facilities for the RORC Carrib 600. The club house was OK, when open, but otherwise it was a single, cold only shower, with a urinal sticking into the shower cubicle and a door which jammed shut if you closed it. Several folk, including me, had to shout for help to get out when the door was closed because not only did it jam but it had no handle on the inside. People who new the ropes all seem to have rented rooms rather than staying aboard.
    Do everyone a favour - Smile !

I think Muddy has obliterated the memory of what the loos and showers were like for his earlier Fastnets. I first used the G&G 'facilities' in the late 70s - do I recall two communal showers, uneven floors, maybe three washbasins?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast