Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fastnet 2019

Default Re: Fastnet 2019

Quote Originally Posted by j80 View Post
    Agree! 4.5 days afloat meant i was grateful to use whatever facilities which were available - our boom snapped half way coming back in the Irish Sea - could not use asymmetric pole for most race etc - there is plenty I will remember about this race - long after the standard of loos at either end. As for the OP's boat being cleaner and sweeter than the facilities - could not quite say that was the case on our boat! Anyway back in work today - thrill of competing and memories of some great sailing in some tricky conditions mean that the return to the daily grind is a bit of a chore!
    Sorry to hear about the boom... around 50 boats retired, so if you managed to finish like that you should feel proud. Our boat stood up pretty well... we blew our only A sail (an old cruising chute) in a gust on Saturday, but that wasn't too much of an issue, though the bolt holding the base of the vang to the mast snapping could have been - we managed to get it back in place and lash some rope around it to hold it in place for the rest of the course. Other than that it was just a matter of holding on and 'enjoying' the ride up and down the Irish sea... down was awesome, up was a bit miserable!

The smell inside our boat when we got to Plymouth was foul - 9 blokes, wet and sweating in the same clothes for 5 days, plus the general wetness down below saw to that. I've never known our boat to be as wet below - it's normally dry as a bone.

Oh, and trick at Plymouth was to use the members showers in the marina offices - I used to ones on the top floor and they were perfect with no queue.

I left Plymouth early Wednesday to head back to Surrey, then set off to drive to Marbella Friday afternoon... 1,443 miles and 23 hours later I was in my place in Spain. Last night I had my 1st sleep in a proper bed for 9 days. It was heaven
    Last edited by Stotty; 13-08-19 at 08:17.

Didn't one boat, halfway back from Ireland, retire when their electrics failed? Surely there was a bit more to it than that....?

I thought it was great fun, similar experience to this post, spewed for 24hrs but other than that a great experience, beautiful conditions and a memorable time. A train back to London was tempting instead of the return delivery, which turned out to be great in the end.

Edit-
    Other notable moments:
    * Irish coastguard investigating an inflated empty life raft (VHF comms overheard)
    * Imoca 60 aground near the Needles North Channel
    * Aussie crewed boat retiring halfway across due to a toe-nail being removed, presumably an accident... (VHF comms overheard)
    Last edited by sails_02; 14-08-19 at 14:52.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12