Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Call yourself a navigator?'

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Must be unusual these days with so many mobiles/tablets onboard - a few minutes turned on to get a fix once a day would get you a long way.

Would be fun to do a long one just with astro though, but ais is too useful solo & running the radar 24/7 eats too much juice.

Maybe not the greatest idea to cross oceans with just one source of charging....?
    We are talking mebbe 8 or 9 years ago. Evrything finally ran out of amps. No lights, no radio, no nothin.

He subsequently fitted solar panels.....

I took the yacht across a couple of times. It was always, um, interesting. On one of the trips I switched gps off for around ten days. Everyone interested had lots of practice. I put it back on at supper time when EP suggested landfall in Antigua the next day. Was only 7 miles out. Quite impressed.

Good point about sources of charging.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    I took the yacht across a couple of times. It was always, um, interesting. On one of the trips I switched gps off for around ten days. Everyone interested had lots of practice. I put it back on at supper time when EP suggested landfall in Antigua the next day. Was only 7 miles out. Quite impressed.
    Good fun!

Regarding starter motors etc, towed a boat into Brazil once after his started burned out half way across when the start switch jammed on unnoticed. Plus in another port in Brazil must have been maybe a third ( quite a few anyway) of the boats coming up from South Africa came in with no engine. Losing an engine crossing oceans ain't rare

Anyone here actually lost all the gps's onboard and had to resort to astro on an ocean passage?
    Back in the day (1990) on passage from Gibraltar to Falmouth (ok, so not exactly ocean) the satnav didn't lose signal so to speak, but the position given led us to question the accuracy. Using the sextant we were able to establish that the digital read out was indeed wrong and the rest of the passage was competed using astro.

Must be unusual these days with so many mobiles/tablets onboard - a few minutes turned on to get a fix once a day would get you a long way.
    I don't think losing all GPS receivers is a serious concern nowadays (luddites with a single GPS128 and a clockwork telephone excepted), but failure (deliberate or accidental) of the incoming signals is a plausible risk.

Obviously warships in particular need to assume GNSS denial as a matter of course in modern warfare.

Pete

Anyone here actually lost all the gps's onboard and had to resort to astro on an ocean passage?
    number of GPS receivers doesn’t matter if there is jamming in your area. Russia jammed GPS signals in northern Norway during the NATO exercise last winter. Rescue services and commercial air transport was affected. The jamming transmitters have some reach but hopefully not mid Atlantic.

Quote Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
    number of GPS receivers doesn’t matter if there is jamming in your area. Russia jammed GPS signals in northern Norway during the NATO exercise last winter. Rescue services and commercial air transport was affected. The jamming transmitters have some reach but hopefully not mid Atlantic.
    Commercial air traffic can function without GPS, but it tends to push them back to relying on a single system.
    Mid Atlantic is not the problem, the problem starts when you start thinking you've reached the edge...
    Before GPS, I know of someone who ended up cruising up and down the Nova Scotia fog banks trying to identify FM radio stations...

Losing an engine crossing oceans ain't rare
    Yeah. I know......... Two different yachts, one my own. Blown exhaust.

I got a wind generator but delivery yachts often dont have a back up. Calculated risk.

Quote Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
    Same question though, has anyone lost all the GPS's onboard either due to jamming the signal or otherwise?

Would be interesting to see how big a problem it actually is - guessing next to none for the vast majority of us...

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Yeah. I know......... Two different yachts, one my own. Blown exhaust.

I got a wind generator but delivery yachts often dont have a back up. Calculated risk.
    MUCH harder to break a honda genny..

Though hardly an option for a delivery.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast