Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Call yourself a navigator?'

Keep a sextant onboard , but cheat a bit by using the astro plugin on CPN makes it really easy as the almanac is included

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I don't think losing all GPS receivers is a serious concern nowadays (luddites with a single GPS128 and a clockwork telephone excepted), but failure (deliberate or accidental) of the incoming signals is a plausible risk.
    Electrical storm?

Quote Originally Posted by Pye_End View Post
    Electrical storm?
    Have you ever had your mobile phone die because of one? Do you know anyone who has? I don't. I've carried a phone near-constantly since 2001 and I must have been in and around my share of storms in that time. Note I'm not asking about VHF radios and other installed yacht electronics, but referring to the fact that nowadays practically everything with a screen also has a GPS chip in it.

Nevertheless, on Ariam I have an old handheld GPS and portable depth sounder (and a 24-pack of AA batteries for them) in a metal tin in a deep locker. Not specifically against electrical storms but the closed tin would presumably help. One assumes a well-found boat crossing an ocean could afford the £50 for a similar backup.

Pete

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Yes but why are the RN using Plath sextants?

Did anyone notice Boris J state in one of his early speeches just before or after election to PM that he would provide science funds for UK to have their own GPS system?
    sorry do not want taint thread with politics but it did make me smile
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Yes but why are the RN using Plath sextants?
    Found a couple in stores and thought they'd make a video?

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Did anyone notice Boris J state in one of his early speeches just before or after election to PM that he would provide science funds for UK to have their own GPS system?
    sorry do not want taint thread with politics but it did make me smile
    Probably doesn't realise that the UK was very much involved in the current one.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Same question though, has anyone lost all the GPS's onboard either due to jamming the signal or otherwise?

Would be interesting to see how big a problem it actually is - guessing next to none for the vast majority of us...
    See post #10. The guy I contacted was collecting information, in some sort of official capacity, about total loss of signal in locations worldwide. His e-mails advised me that there are quite a few such places. When we lost GPS in Bay of Naples we had three alternative receivers but all were useless. I plotted our last position on paper but within a few miles we had signal again.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Have you ever had your mobile phone die because of one? Do you know anyone who has? I don't. I've carried a phone near-constantly since 2001 and I must have been in and around my share of storms in that time. Note I'm not asking about VHF radios and other installed yacht electronics, but referring to the fact that nowadays practically everything with a screen also has a GPS chip in it.

Nevertheless, on Ariam I have an old handheld GPS and portable depth sounder (and a 24-pack of AA batteries for them) in a metal tin in a deep locker. Not specifically against electrical storms but the closed tin would presumably help. One assumes a well-found boat crossing an ocean could afford the £50 for a similar backup.

Pete
    How often do you replace the old batteries with a new pack? Top tip.

I've coped very nicely with the Davis Mk25 plastic sextant with an old Ebco as a backup. Thank goodness I never had to use the backup.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast