Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Default Re: Call yourself a navigator?'

Saw a Freiberg drum sextant in an auction at St Cast 3 days ago guid price €400 I thought about leaving a bid on it to give to our son, then I thought better of it.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I’d say that’s expensive. I bought a Tamaya that has navigated (a) a Japanese WW2 submarine and (b) P&O’s “Oriana” for 109 on eBay, just to see if the 7x50 scope fitted my Plath, which it didn’t, so I gave it to a friend who was taking his Master’s ticket. It’s back at sea and back in business. So far as I can see, it’s almost identical to the Tamaya that you can buy today.
    Last edited by Kukri; 09-08-19 at 19:48.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    How often do you replace the old batteries with a new pack? Top tip.
    The expiry date for the pack is on my list, along with the equivalent pack in the grab-bag (for VHF, GPS, torches, and strobe), the food and water in the grab-bag, the main flares, the single flare in the dinghy, the lifejacket auto modules, and the lights on the lifejackets and Jon Buoy. So like everything on that list, the answer is "the winter before they expire".

Checking the list, it seems the current pack is good to 2023. I must have replaced it a year or two ago, which will be why the box of technically-expired batteries in my study for non-critical items like TV remotes is particularly full at the moment.

Since you ask

Pete

At 38 seconds in the OP's vid..... why is that bloke looking at his watch after getting a MerAlt? Checking if its Gin'o'Clock yet?

Doing a very small Sun-Run-Sun ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

The pinnacle in astro navigation IMHO is the Shackleton trip on board the James Caird from Elephant Island to South Georgia. Finding such a needle in a haystack of turbulent water and ice with very limited resources is close to a miracle. Worsley's navigational skills were amazing.

I have sailed that route myself under a whole lot better and much more comfortable conditions so it gives me at least some understanding how difficult it must have been for them.

Quote Originally Posted by PHN View Post
    The pinnacle in astro navigation IMHO is the Shackleton trip on board the James Caird from Elephant Island to South Georgia. Worsley's navigational skills were amazing.
    Worsley was the real hero on that trip IMHO...... but he wasn't a favourite of the King - just a 'tradesman'.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    Doing a very small Sun-Run-Sun ?
    No accuracy in doing it that way ( if he is taking a normal morning sight or whatever) .... should be saying 'stop' to the person at the chronometer... ....

And his mate shouldn't need to bring the sun down to the horizon the way he is....

'Noon' should have been pre-calculated using the DR Lat.... set the altitude to what you have calculated... step outside... job done .
    Doing that does let you read the lat directly off the arc.... if alt is 2' different to calculated alt then obs lat is 2' different to DR lat... easy peasy.

And what is the narrator doing with that horizon shade? At noon with that horizon? ..........

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Worsley was the real hero on that trip IMHO...... but he wasn't a favourite of the King - just a 'tradesman'.
    The nearest I'll get to such skills is, I once got to touch the James Caird at the old, proper Earls Court Boat Show...I saw her on a lorry on the Horsham bypass just after.

This is exactly the sort of thing which winds me up a treat when people call footballers ' heroes ' - the story of Worsley and the James Caird should be much wider publicised, Jeremey Clarkson would do a good documentary.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Commercial air traffic can function without GPS, but it tends to push them back to relying on a single system.
    Mid Atlantic is not the problem, the problem starts when you start thinking you've reached the edge...
    Before GPS, I know of someone who ended up cruising up and down the Nova Scotia fog banks trying to identify FM radio stations...
    Not true. Commercial aircraft still have inertial backup along with VOR DME and ADF, not forgetting radar.

Modern FMCs calculate a very good fix even without GPS using VOR/VOR or VOR/DME or DME/DME. When they must revert to DR, its still pretty good and from my observations within a few miles after 10 hours at 550kts.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast