Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vetus engines

Default Vetus engines

Any thoughts on these (good/bad/indifferent)?

We are in the midst of our search for a boat, identified our preferred model which all rolled out of production with Volvos or Yanmars (all sail drive as we understand). Then we hit a curveball, where we have found one of this model that has had its engine replaced with a 42hp Vetus (direct drive) with 1400 hours on it, that was fitted in 2014 (awaiting confirmation on model number from the broker). This is in a 38ft AWB. The boat is well equipped and well priced but now all of a sudden we aren't comparing apples with apples (rather, apples with lemons given the bright yellow of a Vetus!)

Read some bits online re starboard access, availability of parts etc but wondered if anyone has any views here?

Default Re: Vetus engines

Quote Originally Posted by Bellacruiser View Post

We are in the midst of our search for a boat, identified our preferred model which all rolled out of production with Volvos or Yanmars (all sail drive as we understand). Then we hit a curveball, where we have found one of this model that has had its engine replaced with a 42hp Vetus (direct drive) with 1400 hours on it, that was fitted in 2014 (awaiting confirmation on model number from the broker). This is in a 38ft AWB. The boat is well equipped and well priced but now all of a sudden we aren't comparing apples with apples (rather, apples with lemons given the bright yellow of a Vetus!)

Read some bits online re starboard access, availability of parts etc but wondered if anyone has any views here?
    Mitsubishi based, pretty reliable and you can find the routine spares anywhere from tractor sources.
    These engines are used in plant machinery and last for thousends of hours if looked after.

Thanks, that's helpful. I had read that they try obfuscate part numbers to make it hard(er) to crossmatch with the Mitsubishi parts, but presenting said part in a tractor parts supplier would usually get a match!

We'd likely be keeping the boat where it is (Croatia) for two seasons then a sabbatical covering the Eastern med...compared to Volvo etc I'm sure parts are not as freely sourced so we'd just carry a good bank of the most likely to be needed (as for mail order to the UK they are easy enough to get)
    Last edited by Bellacruiser; 09-08-19 at 10:37.

I would have liked to fit one, but they were too wide for my engine space. Craftsman, also in the Netherlands, marinise the same Mitsubishi engines.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Thanks, that's helpful. I had read that they try obfuscate part numbers to make it hard(er) to crossmatch with the Mitsubishi parts, but presenting said part in a tractor parts supplier would usually get a match!
    Our 43hp is based on a Mitsubishi S4L, the previous 35hp was a K4D. Diamond Diesels are the UK Mitsubshi engine importers with spares (including some second hand) readily available. Engine type no's are in the steel castings.

Check this thread out (we had the same problem on a Vetus M3.09)

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...arting-problem

We also had a failed heat exchanger that needed the entire assembly replacing. The engine was 8 years old and 500 hours. That cost nearly £700 for the part alone.

The Mitsubishi block seemed good, but not convinced of Vetus marinization.... the impeller was a pain to get at... they might have improved the designs since then (our model was from 2003)

I have a vetus 42 hp M1.7 in a heavy 32 ft motorsailor , had it for about 15 years, 2500 hours and all pleased, it was a reengine for a mercedees OM636 and happened to fit in the space well. No issues and access depends on installation.

I've got a 4.14 on my narrowboat. Fitted in 2000 approx.. Done about 3000 hours. Starts easy, runs fine. No issues whatsoever!!
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Thanks to all for comments, much appreciated. We’re still awaiting the model number but know it was new in 2013/14. All in all we’re not put off viewing the boat if it’s still on the market when we head to Croatia in 4 weeks

We'd likely be keeping the boat where it is (Croatia) for two seasons then a sabbatical covering the Eastern med...
    Not engine related, but it might be worth holding off on a Croatian purchase until Brexit has happened ... then you might well be able to buy VAT free as a non-EU citizen. Keeping the boat in Croatia VAT free under temprary import is also pretty straightforward - I did it before Croatia joined the EU - saves quite a bit of cash.

On the sabatical .... if you are a non-EU citizen you may need to vacate the EU for 90 days in every 180 (depending on what any Brexit deal eventually looks like - who knows but something to think about). It's easier in the eastern Med (Turkey/Greece). Get on some of the US/Australian forums to find out details of how to cruise the EU as a "foreigner".

Met some Australians in Croatia who ended up racing against the clock to get out of the EU - they had a cracked mast and it took longer to fix than anticipated.

Have fun.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast