Default Hull repair on my new boat

Hello

Ive just bought a 25ft contest sailing boat, it needs a fair amount of work doing and as I'm new to the sailing communitt id be really grateful for some advice

On inspection of the hull she has peeled several layers of paint, in some areas showing the fibreglass. My plan is to sand right back to the fibreglass on the entire bottom side, lots of work I know.

My main question is around re-sealing the hull once ive done this. I've read up about gel coat, but I dont think thats suitable in this case. Would I be right in thinking that a few coats of epoxy resin on the entire hull as well as some paint would do the job sufficiently?

Another potential problem I've spotted is that joint between the keel and the hull is visible. It doesnt look a major issue, almost looks like it should be that way, but once sanded back would it be safer to fill with some epoxy putty before the resin and paint?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Ed

Default Re: Hull repair on my new boat

Hi and welcome. I am not the person the answer about epoxy and paint, though this sounds right. Your user name appears to be a valid email address and I'm not at all sure that putting this on an open forum is a good idea. You may wish to change it.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Thanks for letting me know, luckily its not an important email so I'm happy for it to be visible if people want to get in contact

Quote Originally Posted by edbond07@yahoo.co.uk View Post
    Hello

Ive just bought a 25ft contest sailing boat, it needs a fair amount of work doing and as I'm new to the sailing communitt id be really grateful for some advice

On inspection of the hull she has peeled several layers of paint, in some areas showing the fibreglass. My plan is to sand right back to the fibreglass on the entire bottom side, lots of work I know.

My main question is around re-sealing the hull once ive done this. I've read up about gel coat, but I dont think thats suitable in this case. Would I be right in thinking that a few coats of epoxy resin on the entire hull as well as some paint would do the job sufficiently?

Another potential problem I've spotted is that joint between the keel and the hull is visible. It doesnt look a major issue, almost looks like it should be that way, but once sanded back would it be safer to fill with some epoxy putty before the resin and paint?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Ed
    Watch these two videos and I reckon you will know as much abouthull repair as you need to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2td_GkwX4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5QBwmo0kE8&t=7s

Free Range sailing is the travels of a couple on a small old boat and they go into detail when they do repairs of any nature. I think he is an engineer of some kind by trade, so is very good at the doing, and also very good at the explaining.
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

I'm a bit "Out of sight, out of mind" about hull surface below water line. I usually power wash then jab around to dislodge any loose bits that have survived.. If there are any bare patches that go through to gel coat ( i.e. original hull surface ) then I tosh on some Primocon primer. After that it's on with the antifoul.
    Epoxy is choosy about conditions and, of course, the hull moisture levels will need to be suitably low so my opinion is that doing it out in the yard won't do any good.
    The hull/keel joint. Not sure about this but advice I've followed is that there will always be slight flexing between the two, so rigid filler will crack again. When I'm in the mood I might rake it out a bit, then fill with summat flexible - butyl rubber perhaps.
    It's all about priorities: what's needed to sail this week; what can be done over the winter; and what can be postponed indefinitely.

I would tend to agree with Spuddy. First priority is to go sailing and enjoy the boat. However if you have the urge to improve the cosmetics that is OK. Do not try to replace gel coat. Use epoxy as needed. Scrape of old paint. I presume you mean antifouling paint and recoat. ol'will