Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lines slipping through clutches

Hello,

A quick video to illustrate the problem, sorry for all the umming and ahhing:

Actually, I have at least two lines that slip back like this, the mainsail halliard as well as the vang - hence it's impossible to get proper sail tightness right now.

What I omitted to say in the video is that both lines slip back a few inches - they catch again one they have done so. It's almost like they get thinner under sufficient load. I already tried switching the vang line over the other way around, but it made no difference.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Default Re: Lines slipping through clutches

On the face of it it appears to be the clutch that is failing. You could test this by threading a different line through and trying that. At any rate, its efficiency will be marginal. It is only four months until Christmas.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I've got two brand new Spinlock rope clutches (yet to be installed) so I really cant help much. Apparently this problem is not unusual.

Maybe this link would be a help?
    https://www.chicagoyachtrigging.com/...v=6cc98ba2045f

Yes lines do flatten especially if the same part of the line is always that which is clamped.
    Some older clutches (like mine) have two different cam pivot holes which allow you to invert the lever to accomodate different line thicknesses.Looks like these are asssembled with circlips so maybe these do.
    I wonder if the winch alignment is holding the line up and away from the correct exit line from the clutch so that when the line is initially very taut the cam is not actually clamping the line to the base.
    Have resolved slippage on heavy lifting keel clutch by adding a loose anodised aluminium flat strip,with downturned ends,which is trapped loose under the line in the clutch.Maybe you can build up the base of the clutch by this or another method.
    Last edited by bluerm166; 09-08-19 at 11:39.

All my clutches are Lewmar which never slip - came out best in a PBO test some years ago. The rope is held in domino system over a longer distance, unlike other makes which don't have such a long distance. Perhaps shortening the rope so it grabs in a different position?

we had something similar recently the clutch just needed some silcone grease on the cam as it was catching a little bit preventing it from latching properly, it stays in that top position where it hardly touches the rope--- that makes less sense now i've typed but check your cam movement and make sure its engaging correctly

Take the clutches apart, clean them, re-grease them with silicone grease, and then see if that sorts the problem out.

I bet it will.

I had a similar problem after renewing my main halyard. Although the new one was the same diameter as the old one, Dyneema can be slippery stuff and it was slipping although not quite as spectacularly as in your clip.

It was a Spinlock clutch, and in spite of being twenty years old, spares were still available. I replaced the cam and the base plate, both of which were visibly worn, and this has resolved the problem.

If you're taking the clutch apart in anycase, I would look at these components.

You could add some extra cover where it grips - as this video

Thanks very much. A lot of very helpful suggestions in this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast