Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default My wife's worst nightmare come true - Rat on board

Part way through a two week charter in Croatia and rat found on board. Back at charter base and rat evading capture.

Two days lost already and no alternative yacht till Monday.

Wife with full on rat phobia refusing to set foot on board until rat caught.

Any advice? Are we at the mercy of the charter company? Really disappointing to potentially loose five days of our holiday.

Shaun.

Default Re: My wife's worst nightmare come true - Rat on board

Quote Originally Posted by corbu View Post
    Part way through a two week charter in Croatia and rat found on board. Back at charter base and rat evading capture.

Any advice? Are we at the mercy of the charter company? Really disappointing to potentially loose five days of our holiday.

Shaun.
    Borrow a Jack Russell.

Get a cage trap from a local hardware store place a piece of Apple on the hook , rat is caught within the hour.
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

I have been looking for the right dog. We have one at home, sadly unable to help. Two cages and three glue traps with chocolate and ham in position.

Opened a locker and couldn't believe what I was seeing. It managed to escape before I could do anything.

Wife sat on top of the coach roof for 50 nm till we got back to the charter base.

Kids are saying it is only a rat...

Shaun.
    It sounds if you're at the mercy of the rat.

The rat wouldn't bother me but I've just spoken with my Wife and she's says that she would continue to stay on the boat but would expect the charter company to remove it asap once back at base.

Do you think that the rat was on board when you picked up the boat? Have you only anchored out in bays since you started the charter?

Richard

Richard

We had only anchored out. All shut up at night as wife paranoid of rats. So probably with us on collection.

Can they find a way in if hatches and companionway closed?

Plan to sail six months a year on retirement so trying to handle this carefully!

On the rat issue, not sure what leverage I have with the charter company?

Croatia is a lovely sailing area keen to get back out as soon as we can.

Shaun

If the rat has peed or crapped on board I believe whole vessel will have to be fumigated cleaned etc.
    I dont think wise to go onboard.
    My local yard in Plymouth had a rat pee boat and the workers were all in white incident overalls,goggles and gloves etc actively cleaning.
    Or is that down to H and S .?
    Find a good Hotel and bill the Charter Co for entertaing a guest!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyshore View Post
    If the rat has peed or crapped on board I believe whole vessel will have to be fumigated cleaned etc.
    I dont think wise to go onboard.
    My local yard in Plymouth had a rat pee boat and the workers were all in white incident overalls,goggles and gloves etc actively cleaning.
    Or is that down to H and S .?
    Find a good Hotel and bill the Charter Co for entertaing a guest!
    It surely will, they do it continually.
    With regards to the charter company. Difficult to prove it was on-board when the boat was picked up. Otherwise I don't really see what it has to do with the charter company.

It will be an interesting compensation claim.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Richard

We had only anchored out. All shut up at night as wife paranoid of rats. So probably with us on collection.

Can they find a way in if hatches and companionway closed?

Plan to sail six months a year on retirement so trying to handle this carefully!

On the rat issue, not sure what leverage I have with the charter company?

Croatia is a lovely sailing area keen to get back out as soon as we can.

Shaun
    There are a lot of issues to consider Shaun, but start by making detailed notes now of exactly where you have been, where you have anchored, how and when you first noticed the presence of the rat, what you said to the charter company and what they replied to you and who said it.

Keep all your photos so that the jpg numbers are sequential with none missing and none of them show you on a quay or with shore lines, other than the charter company quay. If you have any showing your boat at anchor then definitely keep copies of those.

Rats nearly always get on board when tied alongside either stern to or lazy lines or when you are anchored with shore lines. In theory, a rat could swim out to a boat at anchor and shimmy up the anchor chain or snubbing line but it's such a remote possibility that no Judge will accept it as a realistic defence by the charter company and I doubt that they would try it.

The next issue is whether the charter company is a UK company, whether you paid the charter fees to a UK company and whether you paid by credit card.

If the charter company tries to wriggle out of its liabilities and it, or its agent, is UK based you will probably be able to get a pro-rata amount of your fee back for the missed days. If there is any argument then start a Section 75 claim against the credit card company as well as a Small Claim against the charter company.

The first thing to so, once you are back on board a rat-free boat, is to calculate the pro-rata amount and verbally and in email, keeping it very friendly and positive, explain to the charter manager that you believe that you entitled to a refund of £xxxx and show them your calculation. If they agree, ask him to confirm by email and you're home and dry. If they don't agree, ask them how much they think you should be recompensed, and then consider whether you think that's fair, bearing in mind that taking further action once back home will be stressful and time consuming so it's worth something not to have to go through it all.

Richard

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast