Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: My wife's worst nightmare come true - Rat on board

Equally difficult for them to prove it wasn't on when we took the boat. But don't see any compensation route. Just a total annoyance.

More an issue trying to convince my wife that this isn't a common problem. (If you follow sensible precautions.)

Stuck in Biograd marina with perfect sailing conditions outside.

At least it is blue skies and sunny.

Richard

Thank you for the detailed response. I will record the sequence of events.

Currently trying to appeal to the charter company director's better nature to get us underway again.

Shaun.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

If you get no satisfaction... make sure you tell everyone here which company it is.....

Are you sure it was not a hampster?
    does it answer to the name of Basil?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by corbu View Post
    Equally difficult for them to prove it wasn't on when we took the boat. But don't see any compensation route. Just a total annoyance.

More an issue trying to convince my wife that this isn't a common problem. (If you follow sensible precautions.)

Stuck in Biograd marina with perfect sailing conditions outside.

At least it is blue skies and sunny.
    Not helpful for your circumstances right now, but it is reasonably easy to fashion rat guards from acetate and tie wraps for future charters/longer term cruising and to allay your wife's fears of one boarding (but not helpful if they beat you onboard!)

Our first ever experience sailing in Croatia was with a professional skipper and she swore the worst place for rats was Scedro where there wasn't much garbage to scavenge ashore and they would (as I witnessed, but thankfully it was scared off) climb shore lines to get aboard and look for food
    Last edited by Bellacruiser; 09-08-19 at 15:30.

When we lived in an area with lots of rats always the first sign was bars of soap nibbled. Oddly enough they preferred it to usual rat baits like cheese, chocolate etc. Always caught them within 24 hours with spring traps baited with same soap. Put trap or traps by "walls", not in open space.

Rats were easy, cobras were more worrying. Killed one in the kitchen once.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
    When we lived in an area with lots of rats always the first sign was bars of soap nibbled. Oddly enough they preferred it to usual rat baits like cheese, chocolate etc. Always caught them within 24 hours with spring traps baited with same soap. Put trap or traps by "walls", not in open space.

Rats were easy, cobras were more worrying. Killed one in the kitchen once.
    Snakes on a boat.

Disconcerting.

I don't think I have any useful advice (at this stage). But we met this problem years ago on flotilla in Turkey. The pick-up crew was me and my well-flotilla-ed mate from Leicester. Plus unknown to us or each other a chap and youngish (to me at any rate) lady. She had an aft cabin and came belting out of it late one evening saying there was a hamster in there. Shades of Manuel in Faulty Towers! My mate calmly takes a break-back rat trap (a super-sized mousetrap) from his luggage, baits it with chocolate (IIRC), and puts it in her cabin. It didn't take long before there was a loud thwack and it was declared an ex-rat and consigned to the nearest dumpster. Next morning this was related to the flotilla leader, who was shown the evidence in the dumpster. We thought that the rest of the flotilla should be warned, but he demurred and thought it might cause unnecessary panic. At least he did not have to take any action, and there was no discussion of compensation.

My mate explained that he lives near a river and is used to dealing with rats.

But I do think that if the shore staff do not warn punters of the danger of acquiring unwanted rats, and how to avoid that, then they bear some of the responsibility when it happens...

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcoon View Post
    I don't think I have any useful advice (at this stage). But we met this problem years ago on flotilla in Turkey. The pick-up crew was me and my well-flotilla-ed mate from Leicester. Plus unknown to us or each other a chap and youngish (to me at any rate) lady. She had an aft cabin and came belting out of it late one evening saying there was a hamster in there. Shades of Manuel in Faulty Towers! My mate calmly takes a break-back rat trap (a super-sized mousetrap) from his luggage, baits it with chocolate (IIRC), and puts it in her cabin. It didn't take long before there was a loud thwack and it was declared an ex-rat and consigned to the nearest dumpster. Next morning this was related to the flotilla leader, who was shown the evidence in the dumpster. We thought that the rest of the flotilla should be warned, but he demurred and thought it might cause unnecessary panic. At least he did not have to take any action, and there was no discussion of compensation.

My mate explained that he lives near a river and is used to dealing with rats.

But I do think that if the shore staff do not warn punters of the danger of acquiring unwanted rats, and how to avoid that, then they bear some of the responsibility when it happens...

Mike.
    I think some of the problem is it’s probably impossible to totally prevent them when the charter boats are in base; multiple boats berthed cheek by jowl and so many lines etc. Even if rat guards are used it takes just one gangway or a rat that breaches a guard/scurries up a line and then they can go deck to deck anyway. Good waste disposal and clean marinas/docks will help though. Well, unless that leaves them so starved they look to the galleys!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellacruiser View Post
    I think some of the problem is it’s probably impossible to totally prevent them when the charter boats are in base; multiple boats berthed cheek by jowl and so many lines etc. Even if rat guards are used it takes just one gangway or a rat that breaches a guard/scurries up a line and then they can go deck to deck anyway. Good waste disposal and clean marinas/docks will help though. Well, unless that leaves them so starved they look to the galleys!
    I'm certainly not a rat expert as we've only had them on board once .... although that was a swarm of them running from boat to boat whilst at anchor in a raft with two shore lines. One of the guys on the next boat was bitten on the thigh and screamed blue murder and no-one got any sleep that night in the heat with all the hatches closed.

I would have thought that if the marina is kept clean and tidy then rats would not be a problem but if there is any history of rats, then the charter people need to make sure that there are plenty of traps set and that all the boats have their hatches closed or just cracked open when in the marina. Ultimately, it is the charter companies decision whether to insure against charter days being lost due to rat infestations.

It is definitely not down to the charterer to lose several days of their expensive charter holiday because the charter company did not take sufficient precautions resulting in a rat already being on board before the charter even started. The difficulty would normally be in proving that the rat was already on board but, through fortuitous circumstances, it appears that Shaun will be able to prove this sufficiently to meet the balance of probability test. I therefore suspect that the charter company, if they are British or paid for with a UK credit card, will come up with an offer of compensation/future discount/whatever.

Richard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast