Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: My wife's worst nightmare come true - Rat on board

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I'm certainly not a rat expert as we've only had them on board once .... although that was a swarm of them running from boat to boat whilst at anchor in a raft with two shore lines. One of the guys on the next boat was bitten on the thigh and screamed blue murder and no-one got any sleep that night in the heat with all the hatches closed.

I would have thought that if the marina is kept clean and tidy then rats would not be a problem but if there is any history of rats, then the charter people need to make sure that there are plenty of traps set and that all the boats have their hatches closed or just cracked open when in the marina. Ultimately, it is the charter companies decision whether to insure against charter days being lost due to rat infestations.

It is definitely not down to the charterer to lose several days of their expensive charter holiday because the charter company did not take sufficient precautions resulting in a rat already being on board before the charter even started. The difficulty would normally be in proving that the rat was already on board but, through fortuitous circumstances, it appears that Shaun will be able to prove this sufficiently to meet the balance of probability test. I therefore suspect that the charter company, if they are British or paid for with a UK credit card, will come up with an offer of compensation/future discount/whatever.

Richard
    I had a rat on board last winter. Took the bait from spring traps without triggering them so I resorted to poison. Problem is ot takes several days to work.
    You may get a sense of shadenfreude in knowing it will gnaw wiring. Mine did, as I continue to discover.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellacruiser View Post
    Not helpful for your circumstances right now, but it is reasonably easy to fashion rat guards from acetate and tie wraps for future charters/longer term cruising and to allay your wife's fears of one boarding (but not helpful if they beat you onboard!)
    I have heard that the top third of a 2ltr coke bottle on the mooring line is quite effective.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    I had a rat on board last winter. Took the bait from spring traps without triggering them so I resorted to poison. Problem is ot takes several days to work.
    Setting the bait in the trap so it triggers may be the expertise that my mate had acquired at home and brought to Turkey!

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    You may get a sense of shadenfreude in knowing it will gnaw wiring. Mine did, as I continue to discover.
    The problem with poison is bound to be that the rat might die somewhere where you can't find/reach the body and, before long, the stink will be horrendous .... and then the flies start to appear.

Richard

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Get a proper spring trap: large mouse trap type. Bait with peanut butter or chocolate: small quantity in centre of trip plate. Clear out a locker and place baited trap in locker. Rat will be relaxed about exploring locker space and should rapidly be caught.
    My wife has a similar phobia to the OPs wife and the above is how we caught and killed to one rat weve had on board during ten years of wandering round the Med. The secret as far as Im concerned was using an attractive bait in a small quantity (we used peanut butter) and the location of the trap. Dont put the trap in the open, set it inside an enclosed space: I used the locker where I first spotted the wretched creature, lifted a couple of items out and placed the trap there. The rat was caught within 2 hours of us finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Snakes on a boat.

Disconcerting.
    We had one of them some years back , I sure I posted here .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

The other side to this is , what if the rat did extend damage and the charter company insist the charter was responsible for the rat being on board ?
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

No one has mentioned Weil’s disease, a very real risk, someone I worked with got it when clearing a drain, he only wiped the sweat off his brow and the rat pee got in his eye. Easy to do in the confines of a boat.
    My goodnature trap didn’t work round my fish shop where there is plentiful food, but in my loft it was pretty much instantaneous.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Agro-Rodent...04602630&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    The other side to this is , what if the rat did extend damage and the charter company insist the charter was responsible for the rat being on board ?
    It's said that the best form of defence is attack, Vic .... which suggests that the OP needs to get his compo claim in asap.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
    Rats were easy, cobras were more worrying. Killed one in the kitchen once.
    Where on earth did you visit to get a cobra on board, asking for a friend, who wishes to cross that location of a future itinery

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast