Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stern Gland Leak - Again!

When I bought the boat there was a pile of grease under the stern gland. So at the first opportunity I replaced the packing. Still leaked on prop rotation. A quarter turn on the grease gun would stop it but it would leak again on the next run. But not always. When it got bad I tightened the clamp a bit more - and added another wrap of packing tape. At one point I thought that the nuts were coming loose so I put stayloks on the clamping plate. No change.

This year I had the boat out so and replaced the prop, cutless bearing and replaced the packing and the studs for the clamp. In doing so I noticed that the line of the prop shaft was a little above the line of the flexible connector so an engineer and I adjusted the engine to match and checked the flexible connector gap as suggested in this parish.

It still leaks! After a lot of observation it seems that it is fine until the engine goes over about 2 200 revs. At this point the shaft appears to jump about a bit and the drips start. I can live with this but if it is something I could stop then I would.

I can understand why my washing machine will start to jump about at various spin speeds and about fundamental harmonics but I would have thought that a modern Volvo engine would be properly balanced. The feet all seem to be secure and if I try to rock the engine it seems to be secure. It is about 13 years old but was not used for a good 5-8 years in that time. The previous owner always had it professionally serviced.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Default Re: Stern Gland Leak - Again!

Could the prop shaft be bent at all?

Vibration at the cutlass bearing end of the shaft could be unbalance in the prop.

Do you have flex mounts
    flex coupling
    flex stern gland
    If yes to all three nothing to stop it all bouncing about

I had trouble years ago with a leaking gland. It was caused by a worn shaft. As you push the engine harder the whole drive train moves forward a bit onto where the shaft meets the packing at the worn bit. As the engine is stopped it all moves back again to a point where an unworn bit of shaft is sealing against the packing rings. So no leak at low revs or stopped but when pushed the leak started. I replaced the shaft and packing and it's been fine since.

I replace our packed stern gland years ago. It was my understanding that they always leak? A drip every 10 seconds or so is considered normal.

Change the shaft, it is not expensive.

We checked the shaft. It's fine. The prop is new; the suppliers checked the balance.

Forgot to say that within 3 weeks of replacing the cutless bearing had some play but the leak (1-2 drops per second) occured even before it was worn.

Quote Originally Posted by mattonthesea View Post
    We checked the shaft. It's fine. The prop is new; the suppliers checked the balance.

Forgot to say that within 3 weeks of replacing the cutless bearing had some play but the leak (1-2 drops per second) occured even before it was worn.
    Does it leak that much at rest?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Does it leak that much at rest?
    Not since re packing. It seems to have settled for only leaking above 2 200 revs. If only for a short time it will stop when below that. If we keep it up high for a long time then it will leak, by varying amounts, when stopped too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast