Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tidy Ropes

Default Tidy Ropes

I could do with some tips from those experienced in such matters, on keeping a nice tidy cockpit when preparing to go sailing.

Please note: I mean preparing - not under sail. I am the first to admit that despite many years with motor and sail boats sailing/cruising around the Clyde and Ireland, I ain't no expert, nor am I someone who feels I must to sail rather than motor. I just do whatever I feel like, which I am a bit sad to say is invariably motoring.

I really would like to sail more often as I really enjoy sailing, but one of the things that I find less than fun, is the chaos in the cockpit when preparing the boat for sailing. I mean from making the decision, up to the point when eventually everything is tidied up - and we are actually sailing. Now I have to say for the most part I am doing this all on my own whilst everyone watches me, which 99% of the time is Mrs S who tends to offer a stern look as I curse at the amount of string that's exploded everywhere.

Our boat is a Bav 44 and from memory I count something like 17 lines in the cockpit, at the point where they are all released up to the point of tidying them all up. There might be more!

2 x mainsheet traveller
    1 x mainsheet
    1 x main halyard
    4 x reefing lines
    1 x a rope that pulls down the man - don't know it's name
    1 x topping lift
    1 x boom vang
    1 x genoa furler
    2 x genoa sheets
    2 x genoa cars
    1 x genoa halyard

I would really appreciate any tips on how to manage this minor issue. Thanks.

Note: "Go and buy a motorboat" isn't really quite the advice I am after!

Default Re: Tidy Ropes

You have rather more than we do on our HR34, so I don't know your cockpit enough to be sure. For myself, I start by making tight coils of surplus lines not in regular use, such as the jib halyard, and one or two of these sit alongside the companionway. Similarly the car adjustment for the jib is a light line that is mostly coiled. My main sheet lives on the cockpit sole ready for use, but is coiled and usually hung on the boom in harbour. I have a track across the cockpit and it sits happily there when sailing. Jib sheets are probably shorter than yours. The one in use, I do a loose left-handed coil to counter the winch winding and leave as a loose coil on the seat. The lazy sheet I take two turns round the winch, ready for the next tack, and leave the relatively short tail on the seat. The jib reefing line is overlong in case a larger jib is ever used, and again, the surplus is tight-coiled and lives in a coaming locker. There are some odds and ends that are just shoved aside, but many boats will install rope tidys, which could take about six of your lines.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Lots of halyard bags attached here and there? I have four, two hanging from cockpit lifelines/dodgers.
    Don't have any lines longer than needed. Get rid of excess.
    Tidy as you go and stuff into storage.

Take them all to the mast! All I have in my cockpit are two headsail sheets, mainsheet, headsail furling line and two light lines for holding the tiller.

The ones (presuming there are some) either side of the companionway, chuck the tails down the companionway...keeps them out of the way, and for the most part stops tangles too

We coil and tie odd all ropes that won’t be used in the next half hour and just have them forward of the clutches on the cabin roof.

We have lots of these hooks to hang the coils up.
    https://www.piratescave.co.uk/barton...QaAmjmEALw_wcB

Ah, the two kinds of boats - those where nothing but people is ever allowed inside and those who donít. If itís ever seen daylight (and therefore rain or salt) then it stays outside.

A tidy cockpit is a sign of a sick mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    Ah, the two kinds of boats - those where nothing but people is ever allowed inside and those who don’t. If it’s ever seen daylight (and therefore rain or salt) then it stays outside.
    Surely people are exposed to rain and salt as well? Like cobolt, I toss the mainsheet tails down the companionway, but mostly everything else gets coiled and stored by the sprayhood.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast