Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: LM 28 or Hunter Pilot 27?

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    If appearances matter, I think the Dane has a big advantage. It's chunky and purposeful and the wheelhouse is clearly designed to make the boat comfortable to helm in miserable weather, while the saloon stays below decks.

Whereas, (in my view) the Hunter looks like what it is...a roomy saloon squeezed without much finesse onto a not very big hull, and made almost tall enough to enable steering from inside.

It looks to me like the LM hasn't compromised its purpose, although it likely compromises some performance...meanwhile the Hunter probably compromises the effectiveness of the interior helm, in order to make it a better sailing boat. No idea if that's how they perform, but I like the LM's all-weather approach better than the half-and-half approach of the British boat.

I expect that anybody who seriously wants to ensure their boat needn't be a cold wet place in cold wet weather, would rather take the dedicated-wheelhouse route than the deck saloon way. Deck saloon owners usually say they'd rather steer outside anyway.
    +1, have sailed both; the LM is way more soildly built, but the Hunter is quite a lot faster especially in light winds - and passage making speed often equates to safety, getting into port before gales.

However one of them will look after you if caught out in heavy weather and here's a clue - it isn't the Hunter.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    +1, have sailed both; the LM is way more soildly built, but the Hunter is quite a lot faster especially in light winds - and passage making speed often equates to safety, getting into port before gales.

However one of them will look after you if caught out in heavy weather and here's a clue - it isn't the Hunter.

Tell that to the guy who took delivery of his Pilot 27 and sailed it singlehanded across Biscay, encountering a Force 9. Seemed to look after him ok - he was pretty praiseworthy afterwards! If I could find the article I'd post a link

I think most modern light boats will get one through almost anything, maybe best not try Cape Horn though

https://www.scribd.com/book/234803974/Once-Is-Enough
    Last edited by Seajet; 12-08-19 at 12:18.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    Tell that to the guy who took delivery of his Pilot 27 and sailed it singlehanded across Biscay, encountering a Force 9. Seemed to look after him ok - he was pretty praiseworthy afterwards! If I could find the article I'd post a link
    Here is the link
    https://www.hunterassociation.org.uk...oss-Biscay.pdf
    Pretty conclusive with regard to strength & seaworthiness I should think!
    Last edited by JimC; 12-08-19 at 12:17.

Hmm, I don't want to suggest the Hunter Pilot isn't a good boat, I'm pretty sure it would be my choice above many other designs...

...but, from the OP's perspective, which we may assume allowed him (and his passengers) not to have to endure every foul thing the weather sent, the LM is probably a more fitting choice.

I see that I said above "the LM hasn't compromised its purpose". Of course, its purpose is itself a compromise, but the design works faithfully to that division of uses. Whereas, in my view, the Hunter Pilot has tried to appeal to owners who want sailing performance and the option of weatherproof helming, but compromised the compromise by letting the sailing aspect dominate the design.

I prefer the LM, but the aft cabin on the Hunter appeals to me. Hunter also has self tacking jib which makes sense on this sort of boat. Does the LM have a self-tacker?

I'm getting the feeling the Hunter is being dismissed as not being as 'proper' a boat as the LM. Probably got too much of a mobo look.

I considered both and bought the Hunter. Didn't look round any LM's, so can only give half the picture. So far though I'm very happy with the Hunter Ė have done some Solent pottering and a two week trip stopping at points west out to Salcombe and back.

I don't get the 'compromised interior helm' comment. At 6'1" I can stand at the interior helm, as I can in nearly all of the deck saloon (or I can sit on the flap out seat), thereís fine all-round visibility, I can control the engine. What's lacking? Maybe you have to clamber up the companionway steps to grab a sheet - bit awkward in a rush.

The sense of space is awesome. The deck saloon 'living room' is always set up ready for you to cook, sit to eat at the table, wash up etc. all with harbour views.

Cabins are good and roomy - aft double berth was a big draw for me. Headroom is compromised at the deck saloon forward settee berth and the sink, but by no means un-workable.
    At sea the motion is good and steady.

Handling is fine. Turns quickly enough, forward and reverse, in the marina.

Feels very solidly build. Plenty of wood, wouldn't say it was plasticky at all - look at the pictures. Ultimately, I'm guessing the LM has a higher standard of joinery - companionway steps of the Hunter look a little bit rough and ready.

Engine access is fine. Remove companionway steps for front access. Remove panels in the aft berth for rear access - engine water cock, stern gland burping etc.

No issues so far, apart from groaning noise, as per PBO forum post - probably blocked up cutlass bearing flutes or something. Nothing to do with the boat design.

Canít comment on the heavy weather sea-worthiness. With modern weather forecasting, not a big issue for me. Suspect it will be fine (as per Bay of Biscay adventure). Not convinced long keels are the be all and end all.

Drawbacks? Would like more speed/sailing excitement. You canít have it all though, am happy with the compromise.

It's a tough choice for sure. Both fine boats with many good features.

Re. the Pilot, - I've seen a couple with spray hoods. Has anyone ever fitted a full cockpit cover? Would it be practical to do that?

Roger, you make the Hunter sound very attractive.

Not to me you dont. Navigator copes with this ageing Viking if she can get to see new UK harbours undrenched and uncontorted. LMs do what they say on tin. Hunters are fine boats but...
    A boat is for going places

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12