Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Ove for Volvopaul (or anyone else familiar with IPS oil)

A friend of mine just found that in one of his IPS the oil looks like in the video below.
    The boat has only been used for a couple of hours after grabbing a line with the props (which is probably the culprit), and since then she didn't move anymore for the last two weeks.

Not good news obviously, but this chap was expecting to start his well deserved holidays right now, hence the sixty-four thousand dollar question:
    How risky would it be for the transmission to keep using the boat for this month, before hauling her out for prop shaft seals replacement (as I suppose will be necessary)?

IPS 500 of 2010 vintage, if that matters.
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Ove for Volvopaul (or anyone else familiar with IPS oil)

Its hard to tell from that video but the fluid looks really emulsified
    I wouldn't risk it
    Jerk of all Trades Master of None

If that’s just “2 hrs and two weeks “ then there’s only one direction / concentration that water in oil is gonna go after a month of use .
    I guess it either sucks it in when running or when stopped - cools down + pressure differential of the bottom of the pod 1,6 M down and the breather air vent in the ER ?

It’s gonna need doing ( new seal or what ever ) so why hesitate .
    Let’s hope after it’s done your friend can do a long trip to in a man maths or real maths way claw back the expense in alleged fuel savings ??

Chucking money at it is the easy bit , restoring lost down time with prearranged families impossible.

The gear teeth are designed to mesh with a thin film of oil of the right spec between them.

Seriously emulsified oil has really quite different lubrication and cooling characteristics, and running at speed risks trashing the gear set.

If I was the owner, I would be running on the other engine at displacement speeds until I could get it fixed.
    6kts is not so bad, compared to the cost of an IPS drive.

Last edited by FlowerPower; 10-08-19 at 21:25.

The advice I will give is if there is the slightest amount of water in an IPS unit don’t even run the engines get it lifted and drained straight away and source the point of water ingress which is usually the shaft seals .

Blimey P, can it really be that bad? Not that I remotely dare arguing with your competence and experience, mind.

In the meantime, further checks revealed that also the oil in the other unit is in similar conditions, so the concern is that the line grabbed with the propellers of one pod has nothing to see with the infiltration, which might be due to plain wear and/or aging of some seals instead.
    The engines/pods are 2010 vintage as I said, and they clocked less than 700 hours.
    Btw, the boat has always been kept on the hard and sheltered for about half of each year.

The local yard is suggesting to pull the pods down for replacement of all seals, and also of the clutch with an upgraded one, while they are at that.
    At eye watering costs, obviously...

Your view would be highly appreciated, many TIA!

PS: out of curiosity, by "shaft seals" do you mean the horizontal prop shaft, or the vertical one inside the pod (which I suppose must also have some seals, since the thing has to rotate)?
    Last edited by MapisM; 10-08-19 at 17:19.

If the water has come in via shaft seals would it not be possible to lift boat drain oil and flush replace shaft seals so that owner could complete holidays before major rebuild, Just a thought don't know if viable.

Paolo, as others have said, running the Pods in emulsified oil will have only one outcome. Serious cost, and a ruined holiday. Get is sorted immediately. It will only get more costly, and end in a total failure.

I fear that running the things like this for a few weeks might end up with the owner having to B.O.A.T.T - Break Out Another Thirty Thousand .

I do like Stelican's suggestion though of replacing the seals and refilling with fresh oil, although the yard may not wish to risk it.

It needs coming out, and the suggestion that all the seals are changed is perfectly valid and cheap insurance.

In reality it is difficult to tell how much damage is done until it is lifted and stripped for a full examination.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast