Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ove for Volvopaul (or anyone else familiar with IPS oil)

Quote Originally Posted by stelican View Post
    If the water has come in via shaft seals would it not be possible to lift boat drain oil and flush replace shaft seals so that owner could complete holidays before major rebuild, Just a thought don't know if viable.
    At the moment, that's what we are considering/hoping, because the full monty IPS removal would mean holidays completely lost, for the owner.

I would just love to have a confirmation from VP that when he said "point of water ingress which is usually the shaft seals" he did mean the seals on the prop shafts rather than the one inside the pod.
    Which might be sort of obvious for him I guess, but not to my IPS-ignorant ears...

What I can easily guess is that the time required for the full IPS removal is bound to be a multiple vs. the replacement of just the prop shaft seals.
    I also suppose that the prop shaft seals replacement, once done, doesn't need to be re-done whenever the whole pod will be pulled out for a more extensive maintenance, so it wouldn't be a throwaway job, so to speak.

But we are only speculating, at the moment.
    The engineer from our local yard should come to inspect the boat in a few days, we'll see...

Is it not an insurance job , if he has had a rope on the prop.

Would have thought “ shaft seals “ re water ingress is where the props stick out like an outdrive .Two remember as twin counter rotating .
    The vertical gears shafts are sat on thrust bearings , not “ seals “ .The same oil lubricants them .
    Of course in normally they will have play which needs to within manufacturers spec , that’s probably what the yard want to check by a full strip down which necessitates pod removal .

By way of background when I had an outdrive boat the legs where serviced by an appointed VP dealer with an engine shed .
    Every two years at the belows service the legs came off and where completely stripped , a micrometer put on various parts , seals and shims and the odd bearing replaced as we went along .9 years ownership - uneventful trouble free .But mighty expensive.
    The same yard regularly drop pods and take them into the engine shed for a strip .
    Obviously there’s the gold standard and gold prices to pay for it with many AN Other service regimes .

Once saw a white van rock up and within 2 hrs the guy had wrestled new bellows on a drive without removal , after market parts then drove off .Owner arrived next day and ( we where next door ) and asked me how long it took as he could see the new bellows .I diplomatically said in pigeon Fr I did not see - was polishing t,other side etc .
    My boat had two holes in the stern for 3 days as VP where doing my bellows service as well as a strip n seal job as std .

How ever the forum understandably is full of outdrive service tips / short cuts / DIY er ,s and WOEs
    Back to pods / IPS , I have asked before and got rebuked concerning the rubber skirt on pods , it’s life , it’s service regime etc .
    Yet I see my yard ( the VP agents ) dropping pods and replacing them .Don't know if it’s while they are in there or there’s a time .
    So your mates pod drop is gonna pick up a helluva “ while we are at it “ or in my book deferred maintenance being a 2010 version .

Oil coolers for the gears and exhaust heat mitigation.

One for Volvo Paul - will the pods have them ,thinking dodgy seals in those too?

@ MapisM,
    What’s your mate had done on them since he’s had the boat ?

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    I also suppose that the prop shaft seals replacement, once done, doesn't need to be re-done whenever the whole pod will be pulled out for a more extensive maintenance, so it wouldn't be a throwaway job, so to speak.

But we are only speculating, at the moment.
    The engineer from our local yard should come to inspect the boat in a few days, we'll see...
    Itís generally good practice to fit new seals when you draw out a shaft .
    Thatís what we do in automotive land , cam seals , drive shaft seals gearbox output shaft seals etc etc .Remember the worst that can happen if you skimp and reuse is drip of oil on your garage floor .Yet we still renew seals every time if itís been disturbed.

How ever drawing the two prop shafts to complete the strip down and NOT replacing the water seals ( how ever new. ) is highly potentially gonna put you mate back at sq 1 , madness in the marine world .

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Would have thought ď shaft seals ď re water ingress is where the props stick out like an outdrive .Two remember as twin counter rotating .
    The vertical gears shafts are sat on thrust bearings , not ď seals ď
    Thanks PF, your interpretation is along the lines of mine, but I was unsure of the correct naming.
    After all, also in straight shaft boats the shaft seals are called, erm..., seals.
    And the equivalent (sort of) point where the shaft goes through the hull in an IPS system is the pod itself.

Anyway, semantic aside, it's interesting to hear of the maintenance schedule of your old outdrives boat.
    Makes me happy to not have one anymore!
    My boating mate also had his boat serviced by a VP official dealer, but I don't think they ever stripped the pods before.
    Hence the suggestion to do it now (and replace/upgrade also the clutch), I suppose.
    Which is another point on which volvopaul's view would be highly appreciated!

can't you suck out the oil via the dipstick opening, and put in new
    do a sea trial and inspect the oil aftter every xx minutes of navigation,
    this way he might save a bit of his holliday's,
    is it Enzo's ?
    he will never know, but he might have been running with the emulsified oil for quite a while

if necessary they can join us one day on BA I believe they liked that

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    can't you suck out the oil via the dipstick opening, and put in new
    do a sea trial and inspect the oil aftter every xx minutes of navigation,
    this way he might save a bit of his holliday's,
    is it Enzo's ?
    he will never know, but he might have been running with the emulsified oil for quite a while

if necessary they can join us one day on BA I believe they liked that
    Dip stick seems 20 cm or so L , so it ( unlike a engine ) does not seem to go to a sump , to the bottom .
    Looks to me with a pod L of 80 cm or 1 M it’s just dipping the top of a sump with case full of gears .
    So I doubt you can negotiate a cannula arrangement with a electric pump to very bottom of the pod .

You can in automotive land with cars agreed , the base of the sump via the DS hole .

Of cause happy to be corrected .

But remember this at the VP Xmas party when they are all pissed up , the after sales manager brags to everyone his revenues are greater than plain sales of new units .
    So he’s not gonna loose top dog in bonus payments by designing a system or encouraging a system that you innocently suggest - that knackers his Christmas bonus is he ?

Idea is to trap customers into a never ending revenue stream , by making life difficult for quick fix DIY ers .

Wouldn’t you ? ?

Squeeze every last. £/€/$ out of folks who went IPS .
    Last edited by Portofino; 11-08-19 at 18:41.

But remember this at the VP Xmas party when they are all pissed up , the after sales manager brags to everyone his revenues are greater than plain sales of new units .
    So he’s not gonna loose top dog in bonus payments by designing a system or encouraging a system that you innocently suggest - that knackers his Christmas bonus is he ?

Idea is to trap customers into a never ending revenue stream , by making life difficult for quick fix DIY ers .

Its the same idea every business has and the difference is that those of us in automotive land find viable solutions to problems and at worst we brake down at the side of the road, a boat is a very different scenario and being left bobbing around at sea isn't exactly the same as being stuck at the side of the road.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12