Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Why is racing cancelled at Cowes?

Unless I have misunderstood, the scheduled yacht races at Cowes today have been cancelled.

Why is that, surely the conditions would be the same for all competitors, and individual boats would be free to decline racing?
    Is the decision taken by some large organisation, which is desperate to avoid bad publicity or even being sued?
    Has health and safety come to dominate what I thought was an exciting, adventurous sport, with potential dangers?
    To an outsider from the racing scene it seems rather odd and a big let-down.

(I know what happened in 1979 ( my present yacht was out that night) but it's the Solent not the Atlantic.)

Do the experienced racers on here think that a sensible decision, by wiser heads than mine obviously, has avoided mass carnage?
    Or is it another example of the pathologically risk-averse, lawsuit-driven nanny state spoiling everyone's fun?

Default Wimps!

Racing cancelled at Cowes in what seems to be perfect CO32 weather. An opportunity to give sail and spar makers an economic boost gone begging!

And on another topic, imagine my horror when pictures of the future queen of Brexitland appeared in the Metro with a lifejacket on but the crotch (if it is not treasonable to refer to her lady parts as such) straps hanging loose. I suppose she's done her job with an heir and a spare so is dispensable.

Default Re: Why is racing cancelled at Cowes?

It’s the only sensible decision. We’re now just coming up to start time and Bramblemet is showing 35 gusting 40.

Anyone who is genuinely claiming that racing big fleets in that much breeze should go ahead is completely crackers. You can talk about offshore in that much breeze, but being in close quarters with other boats...

And we probably shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that they did race in 35+ last year. And somebody died.
    You never know, I might be right!

Hmmm... let’s have a think.

Multiple classes needing different courses set. It’s currently gusting 40 knots at Bramble so that’s more or less survival conditions for the smaller classes.

Are you still asking?
    Semper aliud

Just to add...

The red jet has been stopped. And you’re suggesting we should go racing...?

Bonkers.
    You never know, I might be right!

40 knots in a relatively confined space and shallow waters can be very interesting and very dodgy.

I suspect the OP has never raced in The Solent and has no idea how dangerous it would be.

I can see the BBC headlines if it were to go ahead:-

" People dead, yachts sunk, and millions of pounds worth of damage at Cowes week". What a great advert for the event.
    Last edited by Bobc; 10-08-19 at 10:14.

Default Re: Wimps!

HE
    Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Racing cancelled at Cowes in what seems to be perfect CO32 weather. An opportunity to give sail and spar makers an economic boost gone begging!

And on another topic, imagine my horror when pictures of the future queen of Brexitland appeared in the Metro with a lifejacket on but the crotch (if it is not treasonable to refer to her lady parts as such) straps hanging loose. I suppose she's done her job with an heir and a spare so is dispensable.
    Your rooms are being prepared at the Tower for your next visit to London

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    It’s the only sensible decision. We’re now just coming up to start time and Bramblemet is showing 35 gusting 40.

Anyone who is genuinely claiming that racing big fleets in that much breeze should go ahead is completely crackers. You can talk about offshore in that much breeze, but being in close quarters with other boats...

And we probably shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that they did race in 35+ last year. And somebody died.
    Absolutely. And the degree of training, preparation and range of crew experience very different for Cowes regatta week compared to the likes of a Fastnet Race fleet.
    The Race committee pretty experienced and on the ground, so suspect know better than others at home elsewhere.

Racing In the Menai Regattas was cancelled yesterday and today. We decided to relocate from Caernarfon to our home marina a few miles down wind yesterday afternoon just as the winds started to build. We were going one way with the tide in perfect flat water. Never saw less than 9 knots SOG with a deep reefed jib only. The gusts were rig killers. We recorded a couple @ 40 knots. Two hours later the Strait was horrible with big standing waves after the tide turned. Racing in those conditions is only going to result in damage or injury and has no part in a family orientated event with many small elderly classic yachts and owners taking part.
    In contrast Thursday was a great blue sky event with a 20 knot steady breeze. This was followed by a great evening helping at the local club to sample their range of local real ales. I believe a new club record was set of 72 pints being pulled in just two hours. I have never seen our steward sweat before!
    Now Sailing Bluenote II Hanse 301 based Y Felinheli Dock.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast