Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Default Re: Wimps!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Too many variables to give a definite answer, but..if I could avoid much wind against tide, and it was for an hour or two with an easy destination (Haslar marina, off the cuff) then quite possibly, yes. Some crew I've been lucky enough to have on board would have relished it! The passage would be educational, that's for sure! But I do like to keep expanding my comfort zone, each to their own.
    It wouldn't bear any resemblance to a race though..
    Slightly less exposed, but we set out from Emsworth for a little potter on Saturday morning, and retired after a few minutes on discovering how woefully inadequate our speed under engine was dead upwind against one of the larger gusts... went out in the evening though and stayed out 24hrs, a lovely weekend for it (in the harbour...). This in 24'er with a crew keener than it was sensible... Lots of Maydays/Pan pans during a big squall in the Solent on Sun around 1200, 5 or 6 at least, which I'd say confirms the race organisers' decision. My crew complained that there was less wind than promised on the Sunday, but I was rather relieved—you can't help some people!

Out of Cowes? Hmm...
    Last edited by weustace; 13-08-19 at 07:03.

Default Re: Why is racing cancelled at Cowes?

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    It's a bit more complicated for Cowes Week when you have so many classes racing in the same waters and using - sometimes - the same marks. IIRC the race management teams have a computer program that models anticipated speeds around each potential course in given wind and tide conditions. When each day's courses are being set they try to avoid different classes rounding marks at similar times.
    Famously used to be a chart with nails for the marks and lots of string to show the several courses that day.
    Off topic, but reminds me of a very interesting situation at Rutland Water a few years ago when the 18 and 12 foot skiffs used to do the circuit together.

This is an 18...

This is a 12...

The course was always windward/leeward, with the committee boat halfway up the course, and to stop too much "corner banging" downwind, the 18s had to go back through the startline as a "gate" on the downwind leg. The 18s used to start first, with the 12s 5 minutes later. The PRO set quite a short course, and the second the 18s started, the wind really piped up and they all took off like stabbed rats. I think you can see where this is going...as our countdown is going 5,4,3,2,1,go, there's six 18s coming back down through the start line at 20 knots triple stringing with the kites up, and we're heading upwind fully planing off the start, and all boats are sporting long non-retracting carbon jousting poles!

There was definitely some "5p 50p" movement in my wetsuit that day but fortunately no collisions and no damage...
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Default Re: Why is racing cancelled at Cowes?

Quote Originally Posted by Iain C View Post
    Off topic, but reminds me of a very interesting situation at Rutland Water a few years ago when the 18 and 12 foot skiffs used to do the circuit together.

This is an 18...

This is a 12...

The course was always windward/leeward, with the committee boat halfway up the course, and to stop too much "corner banging" downwind, the 18s had to go back through the startline as a "gate" on the downwind leg. The 18s used to start first, with the 12s 5 minutes later. The PRO set quite a short course, and the second the 18s started, the wind really piped up and they all took off like stabbed rats. I think you can see where this is going...as our countdown is going 5,4,3,2,1,go, there's six 18s coming back down through the start line at 20 knots triple stringing with the kites up, and we're heading upwind fully planing off the start, and all boats are sporting long non-retracting carbon jousting poles!

There was definitely some "5p 50p" movement in my wetsuit that day but fortunately no collisions and no damage...
    I remember that start. T'was a bit fruity.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678