Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why is racing cancelled at Cowes?

Quote Originally Posted by TSB240 View Post
    I believe a new club record was set of 72 pints being pulled in just two hours.
    I'm sorry. I'm not impressed. My local wine appreciation group at it's annual lunch knocked off 26 bottles (of wine) with only 26 in attendance - and some of those had only come to drive people home and so weren't drinking.

Not to mention it needs to be safe for the race committee, any mark laying boats, safety boats, jury boats etc.

I completely understand the "it's the competitors decision to race arguement" but that's for when it's 20kts etc. Once it becomes a competition of who's mast will stay up the longest it's not really a race.

As a race officer you have a responsibility to your fleet(s) and committee etc. If you say "I'm going to put the race on, you decide if you are man enough to take part" you are saying "I believe this is raceable". Raceable does not mean one boat wins because it's the only one brave / daft enough to have limped round on a handkerchief without loosing a mast.

It's also likely that if the race ended in carnage the PRO will have to abandon the race to allow the carnage to be dealt with. (Just like a Formula 1 race being red flagged). But the risks don't stop the second he flies the N over H flag. Those boats still need to get ashore, including the race committee. No formula 1 race director would start a race expecting to red flag it, not should a PRO be expecting to N flag a race.

Far better to be ashore wishing to be out on the sea than the reverse.

Why has it been cancelled?

fp-section-1.jpg

They reckon a crewman in the bows was 6 m below water when the pic was taken.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

I suspect the OP was just a troll ... nobody could be that ignorant or pompous! Hahaha! Good one mate ... very amusing! And yes, I spent many seasons racing in the Solent, mostly one tonners. I notice he hasn't commented since!

Quote Originally Posted by oldharry View Post

fp-section-1.jpg

That's what you get for having weight on the bow!

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    Not to mention it needs to be safe for the race committee, any mark laying boats, safety boats, jury boats etc.

I completely understand the "it's the competitors decision to race arguement" but that's for when it's 20kts etc. Once it becomes a competition of who's mast will stay up the longest it's not really a race.

As a race officer you have a responsibility to your fleet(s) and committee etc. If you say "I'm going to put the race on, you decide if you are man enough to take part" you are saying "I believe this is raceable". Raceable does not mean one boat wins because it's the only one brave / daft enough to have limped round on a handkerchief without loosing a mast.

It's also likely that if the race ended in carnage the PRO will have to abandon the race to allow the carnage to be dealt with. (Just like a Formula 1 race being red flagged). But the risks don't stop the second he flies the N over H flag. Those boats still need to get ashore, including the race committee. No formula 1 race director would start a race expecting to red flag it, not should a PRO be expecting to N flag a race.

+ 1 . A race officer has responsibility for the safety of their team. Speaking as a mark layer, I would not want to be out in a rib trying to set and haul anchored marks. They are also responsible for "safe and fair racing". Today you could not achieve either. Good call from the Cowes Team, me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post

Thanks ShinyShoe, for explaining all those considerations, a very educational post, to me at least!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher 5 View Post
    I suspect the OP was just a troll ... nobody could be that ignorant or pompous! Hahaha! Good one mate ... very amusing! And yes, I spent many seasons racing in the Solent, mostly one tonners. I notice he hasn't commented since!
    I assure you it was a genuine enquiry..I really can be that ignorant about some aspects of sailing! Not intended as a troll but the wording re health'n'safety etc could be taken as provocative I suppose

fp-section-1.jpg

I thought that Silk was only 40 ft long. If that was the case then the mast would be 6 m from the bow and at 45 degrees the bowman would have only been about 4m under and then only if he was right at the point.
    still makes a good story at the bar though
    the owner put the blame on the failure of the spinnaker to shred in the gust which he thought it should have done rather than drive the boat under
    good bit of helming to keep it nice and straight as it went down . Pity it flopped sideways after, rather than pop up straight again
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

fp-section-1.jpg

I hope that taught him to go on a diet
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast