Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why is racing cancelled at Cowes?

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    I thought that Silk was only 40 ft long. If that was the case then the mast would be 6 m from the bow and at 45 degrees the bowman would have only been about 4m under and then only if he was right at the point.
    still makes a good story at the bar though
    the owner put the blame on the failure of the spinnaker to shred in the gust which he thought it should have done rather than drive the boat under
    good bit of helming to keep it nice and straight as it went down . Pity it flopped sideways after, rather than pop up straight again
    Talk in Cowes that evening was that the owner's son had been thrown overboard and just missed being scalped by the propshaft. Just hearsay, mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    Talk in Cowes that evening was that the owner's son had been thrown overboard and just missed being scalped by the propshaft. Just hearsay, mind you.
    If he was on the front it seems only fair.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    It was because of him they retired. Something about the owner not wanting to leave him behind����
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    I suspect the OP has never raced in The Solent and has no idea how dangerous it would be.

I can see the BBC headlines if it were to go ahead:-

" People dead, yachts sunk, and millions of pounds worth of damage at Cowes week". What a great advert for the event.
    On the bright side, it would give the mags something more recent than That Bloody Fastnet Race to bang on about.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    On the bright side, it would give the mags something more recent than That Bloody Fastnet Race to bang on about.
    Ok ! so what is so "Bloody" about the Fastnet race?
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 11-08-19 at 07:30.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I think Jumbleduck is referring to 1979; the section about that from ' Heavy Weather Sailing ' should be mandatory for anyone buying a boat, we are still learning from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHTKMGO0YYw

Canceled because of gales the highest gust recorded in the UK was 74mph at the Needles.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    Canceled because of gales the highest gust recorded in the UK was 74mph at the Needles.
    Head, nail, hit on.

When I was technical photographer for Hawkers / BAe Harrier trials at the West Freugh test range near Stranraer I went to Air Traffic with the Test Pilot of the moment, he wanted to know if the crosswind was within limits, I wanted to know if there'd be enough light for the onboard cameras.

It was often so windy it was a struggle opening the hangar side door.

There was no-one at the met' station - the pilot put his finger to his lips signalling me to keep quiet, went up to the lever arm on the trace recorder of the anemometer and gave it a mighty flick...

When I raised my eyebrows he whispered " I always do that here on windy days, I'm trying to get the highest recorded gust in Britain "

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    When I was technical photographer for Hawkers / BAe Harrier trials at the West Freugh test range near Stranraer I went to Air Traffic with the Test Pilot of the moment, he wanted to know if the crosswind was within limits, I wanted to know if there'd be enough light for the onboard cameras.

It was often so windy it was a struggle opening the hangar side door.

There was no-one at the met' station - the pilot put his finger to his lips signalling me to keep quiet, went up to the lever arm on the trace recorder of the anemometer and gave it a mighty flick...

When I raised my eyebrows he whispered " I always do that here on windy days, I'm trying to get the highest recorded gust in Britain "
    Absolutely super!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast