Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Why is racing cancelled at Cowes?

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Yes. Our club racing used to be "any weather - skipper to decide" but now the OOD has to cancel racing if at any time the wind is forecast to exceed 30kn. This is the advice specifically of the RYA and its lawyers. If you are th organiser of a race you cannot hide behind the argument that its the duty of the skipper to decide.

The irony of course is that 30kn for a sportsboat with no reefing is a bit more dodgy than it is for my 35 ft cruiser with 6 crew and lots of reefing.

Its modern life. You cant fight it.
    Refer to previous... it’s not just the competitors that need to be considered.... mark layers, committee boat, safety boats, etc. Some of these people are club representatives and some may even be employees. There is a duty of care.

Shouldn't this be on the Yacht Racing Forum?
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Shouldn't this be on the Yacht Racing Forum?
    Why, there is no racing.

I can only asume the OP was unable to get the weather forecast for the last few days.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.
    Gib'Sea 96 owner

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Why, there is no racing.
    Good point!
    Request to Mods, can we have a No Racing Forum
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Default Re: Wimps!

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Racing cancelled at Cowes in what seems to be perfect CO32 weather.
    there are lots of boats that could handle the weather quite easily ( day boats etc excepted) but the simple fact is that thereare a lot of numpties who treat Cowes week as a one off. You only have to watch them manouvering in a marina some days to realise that to have them whizzing around in high winds at close quarters is a recipe for disaster and somebody would get hurt
    true it is the skippers duty to decide but when the red mist comes down and others start to go the inexperienced usually blindly follow
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

OP, if you were skipper of your boat on day 1 of your summer cruise leaving from Cowes that day, with an enthusiastic crew who wanted to go and show mother nature who is boss, would you have gone out?
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    there are lots of boats that could handle the weather quite easily ( day boats etc excepted) but the simple fact is that there are a lot of numpties who treat Cowes week as a one off.
    I must disagree with you. The Bramblemet records for Saturday 10.00 am to mid afternoon show sustained wind speeds between 30 and 40 knots, with gusts into the mid forties. In my experience, there are not many yachts and crews capable of racing in close quarters round the cans in those conditions without high risk of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain C View Post
    OP, if you were skipper of your boat on day 1 of your summer cruise leaving from Cowes that day, with an enthusiastic crew who wanted to go and show mother nature who is boss, would you have gone out?
    Too many variables to give a definite answer, but..if I could avoid much wind against tide, and it was for an hour or two with an easy destination (Haslar marina, off the cuff) then quite possibly, yes. Some crew I've been lucky enough to have on board would have relished it! The passage would be educational, that's for sure! But I do like to keep expanding my comfort zone, each to their own.
    It wouldn't bear any resemblance to a race though..
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 12-08-19 at 08:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Too many variables to give a definite answer, but..if I could avoid much wind against tide, and it was for an hour or two with an easy destination (Haslar marina, off the cuff) then quite possibly, yes. Some crew I've been lucky enough to have on board would have relished it! The passage would be educational, that's for sure! But I do like to keep expanding my comfort zone, each to their own.
    It wouldn't bear any resemblance to a race though..
    Good answer.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast