Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Wimps!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Too many variables to give a definite answer, but..if I could avoid much wind against tide, and it was for an hour or two with an easy destination (Haslar marina, off the cuff) then quite possibly, yes. Some crew I've been lucky enough to have on board would have relished it! The passage would be educational, that's for sure! But I do like to keep expanding my comfort zone, each to their own.
    It wouldn't bear any resemblance to a race though..
    Well, as RTC racing almost invariably involves upwind and downwind legs, you would not have had the luxury of avoiding wind against tide. Remember that most of those involved in the running of the racing, and of course, the RNLI are volunteers. The RNLI are going to respond to a shout no matter what, so do you want to be the one who effectively sends sailors out into very full on conditions and potentially have that on your conscience if it all goes wrong for the sailors or the RNLI?

The PROs job is to give a fair race and regatta, what is the point of sending people out when breakages and injury are highly likely, especially on the first day of a regatta? Surely it's better to keep people and boats in one piece for more sensible conditions during the rest of the event? It's a dash around the cans back to the pontoon and on to the pub event, not an ocean racing marathon!

No-one said they could not go sailing if they wanted to...just no racing...
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Default Re: Why is racing cancelled at Cowes?

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Nanny says it's too windy to go out, so we'll stay in and have a nice cup of cocoa by the nursery fire.
    Nope and clearly wrong. All the organisers said was 'No Racing organised by us'. Everyone was as free as wee free men to go do whatever they liked. Nanny got nothing to do with it. Neither has my post on a different thread on a different subject.

Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

went racing after work on the thames during the strong winds and squalls and hail. was the first proper test of my boat since i got it. we came 2nd physically and won after the handicaps were calculated. though only 4 boats were crazy enough to take part.
    Current boat: 1988 Jeanneau Sundream (lifting center board)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain C View Post
    Well, as RTC racing almost invariably involves upwind and downwind legs, you would not have had the luxury of avoiding wind against tide. Remember that most of those involved in the running of the racing, and of course, the RNLI are volunteers. The RNLI are going to respond to a shout no matter what, so do you want to be the one who effectively sends sailors out into very full on conditions and potentially have that on your conscience if it all goes wrong for the sailors or the RNLI?

The PROs job is to give a fair race and regatta, what is the point of sending people out when breakages and injury are highly likely, especially on the first day of a regatta? Surely it's better to keep people and boats in one piece for more sensible conditions during the rest of the event? It's a dash around the cans back to the pontoon and on to the pub event, not an ocean racing marathon!

No-one said they could not go sailing if they wanted to...just no racing...
    That all makes complete sense..although it sounds as though you're arguing with sombody else not me; I haven't criticised any decisions or race commitees, just asked questions..

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Yes. Our club racing used to be "any weather - skipper to decide" but now the OOD has to cancel racing if at any time the wind is forecast to exceed 30kn. This is the advice specifically of the RYA and its lawyers. If you are th organiser of a race you cannot hide behind the argument that its the duty of the skipper to decide.

The irony of course is that 30kn for a sportsboat with no reefing is a bit more dodgy than it is for my 35 ft cruiser with 6 crew and lots of reefing.

Its modern life. You cant fight it.
    A very good point, I wouldn't like to face an angry widow and her lawyer, I'd sooner take my chances in Jurassic Park.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

That prompts another question, (not about that incident, poor guy, but in general), I often see racers with their large crews' legs dangling over the upwind rail, is there a protocol or drill to get them out of the way in a close quarters scenario?
    eg, "Port rail-meat, knees up, 3-2-1 GO! " Or somesuch

I always had the impression they get a Chinook along - " Lee-Oh - more gorillas , other side this time please ! "
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    That all makes complete sense..although it sounds as though you're arguing with sombody else not me; I haven't criticised any decisions or race commitees, just asked questions..
    Nope, I am just responding (and not arguing!) to your comment "or is it another example of the pathologically risk-averse, lawsuit-driven nanny state spoiling everyone's fun" coming from by your admission a non-racing sailor.

I've not done much yacht racing but I have done lots of dinghy racing at all levels. I was also PRO at my club on Sunday, and if we'd had Saturday's wind on Sunday I would have had a chat with the rescue team beforehand, and if they were not happy with the conditions I'd have postponed or abandoned too.

FWIW I partly agree with some of your sentiments...I've sailed my old Sabre 27 downwind and downtide from Cowes to Gosport in a F8 under about 1/4 genoa and nothing else and it was an exhilarating and enjoyable sail, and surfing downwind and down waves at 7+ knots in 3kts of tide took some of the sting out of the wind. However trying to make any kind of progress upwind in that would have been horrific and utterly stupid to be honest.
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Quote Originally Posted by Iain C View Post
    ...I've sailed my old Sabre 27 downwind and downtide from Cowes to Gosport in a F8 under about 1/4 genoa and nothing else and it was an exhilarating and enjoyable sail, and surfing downwind and down waves at 7+ knots in 3kts of tide took some of the sting out of the wind. However trying to make any kind of progress upwind in that would have been horrific and utterly stupid to be honest.
    In that boat I’m guessing you mean, not in that wind. Many boats would be perfectly happy bashing upwind in the mid-30s.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast