Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Wimps!

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    In that boat I’m guessing you mean, not in that wind. Many boats would be perfectly happy bashing upwind in the mid-30s.
    Quite so although wind over tide might be bone jarring.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Yep...I was seeing 30 across the deck so chuck in boatspeed and tide and it was probably blowing 40. The boat would undoubtedly take it, but the motion would have been horrible, and being a smallish boat all she would have done is go up and down waves with not much forward progress! And a teeny bit of genoa downwind is more useful shape than a teeny bit upwind!
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Lol, went for a winter sail a few years ago for the purposes of testing in the mid-40s. Pompey, Nab, Newtown Creek. Going past Cowes in wind over tide was interesting. Waves a perfectly modest 1.5m max ...only someone forgot to attach their backs....

....bouncy, but not terrible, moored up, only to find that every beer and wine bottle in the fridge was bust!

Default Re: Why is racing cancelled at Cowes?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    Refer to previous... it’s not just the competitors that need to be considered.... mark layers, committee boat, safety boats, etc. Some of these people are club representatives and some may even be employees. There is a duty of care.
    In our case thats irrelevant. The races are round channel markers and the OD operates from the YC balcony so only the racers are affected.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Lol, went for a winter sail a few years ago for the purposes of testing in the mid-40s. Pompey, Nab, Newtown Creek. Going past Cowes in wind over tide was interesting. Waves a perfectly modest 1.5m max ...only someone forgot to attach their backs....

....bouncy, but not terrible, moored up, only to find that every beer and wine bottle in the fridge was bust!
    Well Ive certainly sailed Lake Solent in heavy airs a few times but its a diffent kind of fun bundle when you get more than 30 knots in proper waves.

That's awful!

One other point that I don't think has been made...

Normally your start line is 1.5 X LOA of the class X number of boats.

You can't assume that because it's blowing old boots half the class won't launch. So you probably need to consider increasing the line because the risks associated with forcing boats in close proximity will increase.

Boats will do a lap quicker. If you have fleets starting in sequence you don't want the lead boats completing lap 1 as a back fleet is starting...

So you need a bigger line, a bigger course (rather than more laps).

Even though some fleets may not launch at all and many others will reduce numbers. From a PRO perspective if you offer the race you need to keep it fair so the course needs to be workable for the full potential fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Well Ive certainly sailed Lake Solent in heavy airs a few times but its a diffent kind of fun bundle when you get more than 30 knots in proper waves.
    True, but as you know open seas are bigger, but usually ok with the exception of cross winds/currents.

Mind, i I did say Pompey-Nab-Lake Solent, so as you know the ‘sea’ gets a bit of a decent run at a nasty shallowing there, esp when the tide comes out to play too.......
    Last edited by dom; 12-08-19 at 21:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    That's awful!
    It was; worse, the boat smelled like I was I right old dipso for weeks afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    One other point that I don't think has been made...

Normally your start line is 1.5 X LOA of the class X number of boats.

You can't assume that because it's blowing old boots half the class won't launch. So you probably need to consider increasing the line because the risks associated with forcing boats in close proximity will increase.

Boats will do a lap quicker. If you have fleets starting in sequence you don't want the lead boats completing lap 1 as a back fleet is starting...

So you need a bigger line, a bigger course (rather than more laps).

Even though some fleets may not launch at all and many others will reduce numbers. From a PRO perspective if you offer the race you need to keep it fair so the course needs to be workable for the full potential fleet.
    It's a bit more complicated for Cowes Week when you have so many classes racing in the same waters and using - sometimes - the same marks. IIRC the race management teams have a computer program that models anticipated speeds around each potential course in given wind and tide conditions. When each day's courses are being set they try to avoid different classes rounding marks at similar times.
    Famously used to be a chart with nails for the marks and lots of string to show the several courses that day.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast