Default Two dead, Greek boat accident.

Two dead, one injured in boat collision near Greek resort
    http://www.ekathimerini.com/243490/a...r-greek-resort

Default Re: Two dead, Greek boat accident.

unfortunate and not the only one!
    just over a week ago a well known and respected teacher here in Volos was snorkelling in Tsougkrias (a small isle just outside Skiathos port) when an idiot decided to pass between the rib and the close by diving buoy, hitting him on the head and killing him on the spot
    I wish these two would be the only ones for this summer but I very much doubt it...

V.

We were anchored in a bay near to Agia Efimia, there was a yacht around 40ft anchored, with a shore line tied to a large rock, a rib with four people came blasting into the bay, really close to the shore, they went behind the yacht, fortunately he had placed a fender on the shore line, and they saw it, otherwise they would have been decapitated! there are plenty of idiots out there, i had better not mention their nationality

idiocy has no nationality...
    today's accident was I think a FR killing two GR, the one I described was GR maybe the one you mention was GB or DE or whatever. I doubt the rent a boat firms all around our waters bother to check if the person renting has ANY experience whatsoever, or any understanding of how the thing works.
    I'm not a H&S freak (on the contrary) but reading last summer the case with a father (I think Brit) renting a rib and having his family on it with a 16yo sitting on the bow feet out, slipping and chopping/killing his own son beggars belief. Was in Corfu iirc.
    My stern line is bright yellow for this reason and I occasionally fit a fender if I fear that the little space left may give ideas to some idiot.
    Looking for some light buoy/flashing light combo for these cases though!

V.

Skipper of the boat seemingly responsible for the collision fled the scene! Glad they caught up with him.

I doubt the rent a boat firms all around our waters bother to check if the person renting has ANY experience whatsoever, or any understanding of how the thing works.
    I can only speak for local (Kefalonia) boat hire, i helped out one summer, up to 30hp, the punter can hire without a licence or any knowledge, they are given a lesson on handling, safety, and anchoring, they are warned not to go inside any swimming buoys or they will be fined, to hire over 30hp, they need an ICC or Greek speedboat, or equivalent depending on nationality. the bigger, faster ribs, tend to be privately owned, towed by car and arrive via the ferry.