Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Durham, England
    Posts
    16,500

    Default Re: Foredeck light LED bulb

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    What's wrong with saying Buggeration?
    Bus station?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boat Orwell - Me Norwich
    Posts
    8,088

    Default Re: Foredeck light LED bulb

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    I've bought LEDs from eBay and boat jumbles which proved false economy especially the latter. You have little recourse if they don't work and the bu**station factor especially with masthead lights just isn't worth the small saving.
    Definitely worth carefully checking that whatever you get at whatever price is working properly before you come down the mast/put the mast up.

    I paid decidedly non-ebay prices to a major (online and store) chandlery for a LED lamp specifically labelled to fit my (Aqua Signal?) tri-colour, but fortunately discovered before I put the mast back up that the lamp orientation was 180 degrees out compared to the original fitting lens. When I took the lamp back to the chandlery the assistant said they'd had previously had similar complaints. Due to lack of time the mast went back up with an incandescent bulb in the tri-colour.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    8,871

    Default Re: Foredeck light LED bulb

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    What's wrong with saying Buggeration?
    I thought there was a convention not to use swear words.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Bewdley, Worcs
    Posts
    465

    Default Re: Foredeck light LED bulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Jones View Post
    I donít intend to extend an argument other than say the vast majority of our customers are happy with our products and service standards. Most of the very few returned products are found not to be defective and failure to work results from either voltage deficiencies or faulty fixtures. Iím afraid our current policy is driven by our experience of sending out replacement products and finding so called faulty ones either not being returned or as mentioned returned and found not to be faulty. You chose to dump the faulty lamp and wish to correct potentially defective soldering thatís entirely your choice. Clearly we canít satisfy everyone hey ho,
    Regards
    That's fair enough, it is a business decision and you are of course quite free to choose how you handle problems like this.

    My business handles things somewhat differently and we always seek to minimise inconvenience to our customers, for example by sending out warranty replacements and a UPS label to return the faulty product we have had close to zero "non returns" in recent years. We have "lost" a few, but we consider the unit production cost of the lost unit as part of our advertising and support budget, and for us, it has worked out. Either way, it is a business decision and I appreciate your business may not function the same as ours.

    As promised, I'll investigate the cause when we are ready to haul out in about 3 months and report back. It might be easier to "slot" the AquaSignal bulbholder to allow a degree of rotation to correct the problem. If I decide to return it as defective rather than attempt to rectify the problem myself, I will of course take you up on your offer of returning it for inspection.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Gerrards Cross
    Posts
    206

    Default Re: Foredeck light LED bulb

    Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    That's fair enough, it is a business decision and you are of course quite free to choose how you handle problems like this.

    My business handles things somewhat differently and we always seek to minimise inconvenience to our customers, for example by sending out warranty replacements and a UPS label to return the faulty product we have had close to zero "non returns" in recent years. We have "lost" a few, but we consider the unit production cost of the lost unit as part of our advertising and support budget, and for us, it has worked out. Either way, it is a business decision and I appreciate your business may not function the same as ours.

    As promised, I'll investigate the cause when we are ready to haul out in about 3 months and report back. It might be easier to "slot" the AquaSignal bulbholder to allow a degree of rotation to correct the problem. If I decide to return it as defective rather than attempt to rectify the problem myself, I will of course take you up on your offer of returning it for inspection.
    Thatís fine Iíll stand by my offer and wish you well running your seemingly much better enterprise. However,
    given that you have found the time to respond can you please now take the time to remove the post content below which, irritatingly, I note you have left in place.
    I consider your comment about the danbuoy lamp quite untrue and damaging to my business. You are clearly unable in any way to substantiate the widely inaccurate comment published saying you can buy the same product for £1.20. Iím not sure what the GU10 lamp comment is all about, surely, if you could have bought the same lamp as we sell for 1/10th of the price, then why simply didnít you purchase it?

    ĎThe roughly £9 LED for the danbuoy was supplied in its original packaging, you can buy the same item in the same packaging for £1.20 ... the same 6W GU10 12V light I purchased from them is available for 1/10th of the price on eBay ... I am NOT complaining about their prices, their business model is clearly to source LED lamps and present them to the yachting market at a premium price, saving the hassle of finding the right or wrong thing on eBayĒ
    Adrian Jones
    www.boatlamps.co.uk

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    14,371

    Default Re: Foredeck light LED bulb

    One reservation that I have about using LEDs for lighting the foredeck is that if I look directly at an LED light source it leaves me with no night vision for a couple of minutes at least.
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boat Orwell - Me Norwich
    Posts
    8,088

    Default Re: Foredeck light LED bulb

    If only someone sold luminous deck paint we'd save all this trouble!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Me - Zumerzet Boat - Wareham
    Posts
    12,215

    Default Re: Foredeck light LED bulb

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    One reservation that I have about using LEDs for lighting the foredeck is that if I look directly at an LED light source it leaves me with no night vision for a couple of minutes at least.
    Why look? To check that It's on
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Celtic Fringe
    Posts
    14,264

    Default Re: Foredeck light LED bulb

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    One reservation that I have about using LEDs for lighting the foredeck is that if I look directly at an LED light source it leaves me with no night vision for a couple of minutes at least.
    then don't do it.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa
    Posts
    7,035

    Default Re: Foredeck light LED bulb

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    If only someone sold luminous deck paint we'd save all this trouble!
    They do

    https://www.coating.co.uk/glow-in-the-dark-paints/



    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-UV-paint.html
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to