Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Foredeck light LED bulb

I have an Aqua Signal combined 'masthead/foredeck' nav light. That's what they call it but it's actually a steaming light/foredeck light mounted about halfway up the mast on the front.
    The foredeck bulb part is open to the elements and has no lens at all.
    I change the standard bulb to an LED one, similar to the one in the photo but without the gap in the body, and sealed the lamp all around with PU sealant to keep the water out.
    The bulb failed after a few years and I bought another bulb but it arrived and isn't the same, it has an air gap between the LED and the bayonet with a bit of circuit board showing.
    I want to seal up the gap but is it there for cooling or just to get the bulb length as they are normally used for car sidelights.
    As I bought 2 bulbs I suppose I could seal one up and see what happens. If I use self amalgamating tape it may not get as hot as if I filled it with sealant.
    It's the time up in the bosun's chair and fiddling about with sealant and possibly slightly corroded bayonet light socket that I am trying to avoid.
    I have bought Chinese LED strip spreader lights but haven't fitted them yet.
    (I know there is a boat lamp supplier recommended for these bulbs but I was being cheapskate as these were half the price and the last lot looked the same and I was in a hurry)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Foredeck light LED bulb

I had one of those steaming/deck lights, with the latter open to the elements. Lasted for many years without problems - with the standard bulb and no modification.

I can't see much point in changing to an LED (I never had the deck light on for long periods, so consumption was never a problem), but now you've got one . . .

Note that 'masthead' light is the correct term, as used in the Collision Regs. (despite no requirement for it to be on top of the mast), for what is popularly referred to as a steaming light.

I can't see any point in using an LED bulb for a steaming light as it's only used when the engine is running.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    I can't see any point in using an LED bulb for a steaming light as it's only used when the engine is running.
    You mean apart from it (hopefully) not failing and requiring an excursion up the mast to sort it?

I replaced the foredeck light part, including the reflector with one of these:

https://boatlamps.co.uk/collections/...-cree-led-lamp

I went to some trouble with sealant to try and stop any rain running down the mast etc and it seems to have survived the first year anyway ... very nice and bright on deck, and illuminates the area around where the mooring buoy hopefully is, which makes night moorings a lot simpler.

I have some reservations about boatlamps.co.uk .. maybe try eBay for a similar item.

Stick some Vaseline in the gap. The gap is holding small resistors is all. The shiny housing should get rid of the heat from the Leds I think.

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    I have some reservations about boatlamps.co.uk .. maybe try eBay for a similar item.
    Why? Their products are excellent and their after sales is brilliant. On a recent order I had an email a) letting me know that the Royal Mail were unable to deliver to the marina and b) say that this happened a lot. That is what I call service. I dropped them an email to say that my order had arrived and was thanked for that.

There is the old engineering triangle, speed, quality and cost, you can have two out of the three.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.
    Gib'Sea 96 owner

Another big-up for Adrian at boatlamps.co.uk

Ive always found their stuff to be excellent and they stand by their products.

Thanks for all the replies. When away cruising I struggle to keep the Volts up with the fridge running and so have changed a lot of bulbs to LED. The 'steaming' light is still a normal bulb. The foredeck light's bulb is open to the elements and needs changed now and then. The ebay sellers sell the LED bulbs in pairs so I thought I'd try them as they were 2 for £10 delivered. I lost the 2nd one and the new lot have this gap.
    I liked the LED bulbs as they were pretty bright for foredeck/anchoring work and draw negligible amps. I sometimes put it on when night sailing when ships were nearby, or while ashore going to the pub at dusk so other boats see you when coming in to remote anchorages as sometimes the masthead anchor light is a bit high up. I can rig a riding light but it waggles about a lot unless it's calm.
    Anyway I'll try the new bulb with self-amalgamating tape over the gap and if it's not a success I'll get a Boatlamps one.

Foredeck flood light is a peculiar case in terms of direction of light. Ideally suited to LED as you want the light to go straight down to the deck. Incandescent bulbs are not best suited to this role> So any LED bulb emulating an incandescent bulb is also missing the mark. ie a lED bulb with emitters arranged around the circumference and off the top sends light in all directions relying then on reflector to direct the light. So if you want a plug in lED bulb you want one that emits only off the top and have a holder which holds the bulb that way.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-LED-Chi...BuHJrvamMQIpuA
    These little guys are perfect for that job. Very cheap very reliable. Only problem is that they require to be mounted on a Aluminium or similar heat sink as they get hot. Due to high power. I suggest the 10w one would be ideal.
    OP could mount one one a heat sink then on an old bulb base to permit plug and play. ol'will

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast