Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Default Re: MAIB report seriously flawed - Clipper

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Red View Post
    I think you mean "if safety was absolute", then I'd agree with you. It's about managing risk, at whatever level of sailing we all do, amd Clipper IMHO are v.good at that.
    We seem to be in broad agreement - just a difference in terminology. What worries me about Clipper, as an outside observer, is that they come across as very resistant to any suggestions about how to improve things. "Not invented here" and "we know best" are not attitudes which suggest a strong safety culture, Neither, of course, are a series of injuries and deaths.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    We seem to be in broad agreement - just a difference in terminology. What worries me about Clipper, as an outside observer, is that they come across as very resistant to any suggestions about how to improve things. "Not invented here" and "we know best" are not attitudes which suggest a strong safety culture, Neither, of course, are a series of injuries and deaths.
    Thankfully your outside observation is incorrect.

Thankfully your outside observation is incorrect.
    Mmm. That's not the impression I get from the MAIB reports.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Default Re: Clipper Ventures declares war on MCA & MAIB?

I think they should.

They will learn that MAIB let Spinlock off light on the failed tether, which was the ultimate cause.

So far as I know, every other locking tether clip has better than 3 times the side load strength and meets additional ISO standards. It seems Spinlock is quietly discontinuing the model, without recall, which tells you all you need to know. Why MAIB could not spit this out and why MAIB implied inaccurately that appropriate standards do not exist is beyond explanation. In fact, Spinlock supplied the stronger clips (Performance line) to many pro teams, so they obviously knew of the differences. Ironically, the stronger clips are cheaper and lighter.
    Last edited by thinwater; 11-08-19 at 23:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
    I wonder how many at the MAIB have sailed the southern ocean and have any idea what it is like. Sitting at a desk producing guide lines with the power of hindsight.......ummmm now that's a challenge
    Most MAIB are retired professional mariners with many years of experience. Hardly desk jockeys.

Quote Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
    Most MAIB are retired professional mariners with many years of experience. Hardly desk jockeys.
    But still lie. Hence the challenge.

I am astonished that anyone attacks a professional organisation that carefully lists safety issues without casting blame. Do they think its ok the people die in pointless accidents? Do they heriocally refuse to wear their own LJ, safety harness seatbelt etc?

There is not a single MAIB report that I have read that did not make me go, hm, something to consider.

Yet some of those on this forum attack the MAIB rather than the cause of the deaths. W.T.F
    A boat is for going places

Do we have any evidence that they lied rather than made a mistake? Apart from an article by the spokesperson for an organisation facing multiple lawsuits, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
    But do they know a lot about yachts?

Err umm...

In the day job I investigate and write reports on safety critical incidents, not for the MAIB or AAIB. We write reports on the evidence that we see. If there is an misunderstanding corrections are made. Lying is not a good idea in court.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.
    Gib'Sea 96 owner

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast