Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Avoiding Cowes Week races

We're planning to go Portsmouth -> Yarmouth or Lymington on Monday morning. Normally I'd go pretty close to Cowes entrance on such a trip, but I'd rather not get caught in the thick of Cowes Week! I don't know what and where the racing courses usually are, but would I be likely to be well out of their way if I stuck fairly close to the Lee-on-Solent shore and went North of the Bramble Bank ?

Steve

Default Re: Avoiding Cowes Week races

MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Ta! I looked around on their website but for some reason didn't find that. Steve

You may find racing fleets anywhere in the Central Solent.
    It's quite common for the marks around Lee/Soton Water/Lepe areas to be used a lot.
    Unfortunate timing of HW, the W going tide is pretty much while the racing is busy!

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    You may find racing fleets anywhere in the Central Solent.
    It's quite common for the marks around Lee/Soton Water/Lepe areas to be used a lot.
    That's why I normally sail midweek!
    Unfortunate timing of HW, the W going tide is pretty much while the racing is busy!
    Just so. Well, we'll avoid the start and finish lines and otherwise be a slow moving obstacle for the racing fleets...

I have sailed through Cowes week a couple of times only and didn't find it a problem. Most of the courses are outside the main buoyed channels, and where they cross it is fairly easy to predict where the boats are going. A large boat class passed us and one or two other cruisers at one point but they were well spread out and we didn't get in anyone's way, helped by the fact that they were going a good deal faster.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

You have as much right as them on the water.
    I used to race quite a bit and have seen bullying by crew members of cruising boats until one cruiser skipper paid one of our rather vocal (shall we say crew) a visit on the pontoon.
    I remember it well the 65 skipper towering over said crew member finger pointing and expressing how upset and intimidated he felt.
    Said crew member apologised as I suppose self preservation kicked in.

Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    I used to race quite a bit and have seen bullying by crew members of cruising boats until one cruiser skipper paid one of our rather vocal (shall we say crew) a visit on the pontoon.
    I remember it well the 6’5” skipper towering over said crew member finger pointing and expressing how upset and intimidated he felt.
    Said crew member apologised as I suppose self preservation kicked in.
    Interesting....if your gobby crew member had been correct regarding his collision regs/the 'incident', he could have given the chap a lesson in what he'd done wrong and how to keep clear next time!

Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    Indeed. Though I can make life easier for myself by keeping clear of densely-populated areas (a motto for life generally as well as sailing?). The only time I've ever got yelled at by a racing sailor was on the outer approach to Chichester harbour, when I found myself surrounded by racing dinghies; one of whom, overtaking me close on my lee side, accused me loudly and at length of "stealing his wind".

You have as much right to be on the water as they do, but it can be hard work keeping abreast of your colregs commitments with so many boats. Passing Cowes either before the first starts or after most of the boats have finished is perhaps the most pleasant option.
    Shame the tide is almost completely wrong for that!
    I'd probably stick to the fair tide in deep water, then most of the racing boats in the channel will be going the same way and be overtaking you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast