Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Avoiding Cowes Week races

We will aim to get a very early start (ha!) and so be past Cowes before 10. We will then arrive at Lymington or Yarmouth with plenty of time to stroll up and down the prom with an independent air, etc. Of course, plans are one thing, actually getting up to put them into action can be quite another...

I've been in and owned a lot of racing dinghies and never shouted at anyone; it's that sort of idiot who gives dinghy sailors a bad name, and one of the main reasons I always have fast boats but like to sail them to places where I want to be, not around in circles following some novice loudmouths' idea of a course.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

I still feel a little ashamed of the occasion when I was hailed with a diffident cry of "excuse me , we are racing "and I replied "so are we, and we are not last"

Before the start, we made way, east to west, through the Fastnet fleet last weekend such that we could anchor at a good vantage point to watch them leave through the Needles Channel. From Portsmouth, we took the north channel towards Soton, to avoid Cowes. It was very busy but everyone seemed to be in good spirits and observing ColRegs.

Watching that number of boats in close proximity was a sight to behold albeit my phone camera skills leave a lot to be desired.

I would suggest your wear your ensign to signal that you are not racing. Try to stay clear of the start/finish lines. But you don’t need to change your plans overtly. In fact, just be a predictable cruiser. Mostly the racers will stay out of your way. Follow collregs properly and don’t be a “rabbit in the headlights”. Then all will be fine.

Errr, ' ensign to show you're not racing ' ?

A new one on me though I don't go for serious races any more - sounds awkward if racing offshore or cross Channel.

Most racers I know do fly an Int code pennant designating their class / group on the backstay above the ensign.

In the good old days before electronic wind indicators it was a square burgee to show you were racing, triangular if cruising.
    Last edited by Seajet; 10-08-19 at 18:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Errr, ' ensign to show you're not racing ' ?

A new one on me though I don't go for serious races any more - sounds awkward if racing offshore or cross Channel.

Most racers I know do fly an Int code pennant designating their class / group on the backstay above the ensign.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...uSgpmPscXja_uq

See page 12

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    "As a general rule, no ensign is worn when a yacht is racing. This indicates that she is amenable to the racing rules but does not exonerate her from the International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisions at Sea 1972 as amended or COLREGs. " Well - I didn't know that before. Handy to know. Ta!

You could always leave a bit earlier and go south of the island/
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

DJE,

thanks for that.

There's a great deal there I'd argue with as ' doesn't happen in real life ' and seems more like one RYA bloke chatting at a club bar but it's interesting to see that take on it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast