Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Avoiding Cowes Week races

It very much does happen in real life! Putting the ensign up actually signifies retirement from a race.

Last century, I'm sure there was something in the racing rules about not wearing and ensign while racing. To fly an ensign signified having retired from the race. I can't find anything in the current rules.
    Racing cross channel etc is not an issue, we have K or GBR on the sails.

It's handy to fly an ensign when not racing, because the racing boat coming up from astern then knows they treat the cruiser as being overtaken, instead of probably windward boat as they point higher.

Not offshore it doesn't and even inshore the coastguard may have something to say.

The ensign shows nationality of those in command, a sail number can be anyone who bought it a few years ago.

I'd have thought retirement is signified by VHF and taking down the pennant.
    Last edited by Seajet; 10-08-19 at 20:24.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Not offshore it doesn't and even inshore the coastguard may have something to say.

The ensign shows nationality of those in command, a sail number can be anyone who bought it a few years ago.

I'd have thought retirement is signified by VHF and taking down the pennant.
    It happened on every offshore (and inshore) race I've ever done. RORC, JOG etc..

The ensign shows nationality of those in command...
    Does it? I thought it showed the country of registration of the vessel.

A quick scan of the Cowes Week NOR #12 sets out the requirement to display the relevant class flag while racing. No mention that I can see of ensigns or other flags. The Sailing Instructions require a VHF call to notify of retirement. So lw395 is correct...........
    .......but when I was racing (last century mostly), it was customary to indicate retirement by dropping the class flag and raising the ensign. Still a simple way of alerting other yachts to your racing or non-racing status, which seems polite thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Does it? I thought it showed the country of registration of the vessel.
    Nope it's not like a tanker with ' Panama ' written on the back, it should and usually does show nationality of the skipper / owner on board at the time.

You should see the size of the ensigns on ( barely ) mobile houseboats chartered by the Swiss on the Burgundy canals - about the size of HMS Victorys' main

Still You have taught me something about ensigns when racing I didn't realise thanks - I've raced a lot of top dinghies but not yachts at that level, I don't agree with sailing without an ensign but that's me.

Nope it's not like a tanker with ' Panama ' written on the back, it should and usually does show nationality of the skipper / owner on board at the time.
    I think there might be a difference between vessels in home waters and those going foreign.

I don't know about other juristrictons but British registered vessels (yachts or tankers) are required to wear their British ensign when entering or leaving a foreign port and on demand. So the ensign matches the country of registration.

Vessels in home waters presumably can fly whatever they like including the charter skipper's home flag.

I think that all changed after 9/11 - for instance I'm pretty careful my boat wears the red ensign in Portsmouth nowadays, not that it means much in reality as any berk can sail under false colours until actual combat, I doubt those speedboats attacking the USS Cole bothered with niceties but it might have got them a touch closer...

In the early 1980's before solar panels my boat had a total loss electrical system, I had to take the battery to garages to get it recharged so only put the nav lights on at night when somebody else was close; this wasn't such a wise move off Portland, we found an equally unlit Lynx hovering not far above the masthead no doubt using night vision goggles checking us out, I'd hope this scrutiny would be a lot more severe these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f06_CkYvIik
    Last edited by Seajet; 11-08-19 at 06:38.

Was on passage in a small coaster,Hamble fuel jetty to Cowes ,when verbally set upon by a Yachting harridan f& blinding from her bow ,we had slowed to avoid too much interference with what was obviously a race but that was not enough obviously

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast