Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Avoiding Cowes Week races

That's the time to have a Super-Soaker handy
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Was on passage in a small coaster,Hamble fuel jetty to Cowes ,when verbally set upon by a Yachting harridan f& blinding from her bow ,we had slowed to avoid too much interference with what was obviously a race but that was not enough obviously
    I was on passage off Broadstairs a while ago when a dinghy, may a Sprite, came across my path and shouted at me for being on his racing line. Whether he heard me replying that I didn't have a copy of his race instructions on board I shall never know.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

None of this is relevant to avoiding racing fleets from Cowes (the current answer to which is - don't go into the Cowes or Hamble marinas), but anyway.

As I understand it, any unregistered vessel, of any size, which is British owned and skippered may fly a red ensign.

The Merchant Shipping Act covers registered vessels, and in particular:-

Duty to show British flag.

(1) Subject to subsection (2) below, a British ship, other than a fishing vessel, shall hoist the red ensign or other proper national colours—

(a) on a signal being made to the ship by one of Her Majesty’s ships (including any ship under the command of a commissioned naval officer); and

(b) on entering or leaving any foreign port; and

(c) in the case of ships of 50 or more tons gross tonnage, on entering or leaving any British port.

(2) Subsection (1)(c) above does not apply to a small ship (as defined in section 1(2)) registered under Part II.

All of which means:-

Under (a) above, having his ensign up already, Seajet saved himself being challenged off Portland that dark dark night.

Under (b) above we're all clear to carry on racing to ports foreign without ensigns, but must pray that the finish line is outside said port. This may mean that I can protest the whole French Fastnet entry, all of whom passed the breakwater in Plymouth without theirs. And the septics.

And (c) doesn't bother many of us. (For clarity, (2) says that a small ship can also be defined as sub 24 Metres loa).

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    The ensign shows nationality of those in command.
    Err no it doesn't.

Getting back, vaguely, to the original post, I watched the postponed cat racing yesterday and it set me wondering.

Leaving aside the suicidal stupidity of sailing a Snapdragon 24 through the middle of a race where big cats are doing 30+ knots on the ragged edge of control, do the organisers of these races have any legal powers to prevent me doing so? Did Southampton VTS set up an exclusion zone?
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by xyachtdave View Post
    Interesting....if your gobby crew member had been correct regarding his collision regs/the 'incident', he could have given the chap a lesson in what he'd done wrong and how to keep clear next time!
    He was the stand on vessel. I dont care if we were if hed confronted me Id have backed down for safety sake, he looked a serious contender to me lol.
    We had a quiet apologetic word after with the irate chap and an educational word with our crew member who was white faced at the time lol
    Last edited by robertj; 12-08-19 at 07:22.

To get back to original post... Set off early, motored up the North Channel, rounded Calshot Spit port-hand channel marker about 10. The Cowes week fleets seemed to be having the marine equivalent of slow bicycle races off Cowes, well to the South of us. Then we put the sails up and got rained on a lot on the way to Lymington.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234