Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Advice on good quality, efficient dinghy pump?

I carry a small inflatable, which I frequently inflate/deflate when cruising.
    It came with a foot pump, Bravo 1, this type:
    https://www.force4.co.uk/bravo-1-foot-pump-5ltr.html
    It was OK when new (circa 230 foot strokes to full), but has lost a lot in efficiency in just a few years (now well over 300 strokes).
    I have opened it up, tried pulling the spring out to make the chamber fill better, but have not seen much improvement. There are probably leaks, but they seem difficult to locate.
    I am a bit reluctant to buy the same again as a replacement. Are there better and more long lasting alternatives for a manual air pump? Electrical is out, I don't mind the exercise, just the wasted effort.

Default Re: Advice on good quality, efficient dinghy pump?

You might consider the larger Bravo 9 pump. I have one for my Zodiac dinghy and it works well.

https://seamarknunn.com/acatalog/Bra...T6090009N.html

After open heart surgery meant I struggle with a manual pump, I got one of these

Expensive and heavy, but excellent. If you don't need a complete autonomy of power, there are plenty of cheaper versions.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

I use an Argos rechargeable (~£10) which isn't strong enough to blow past a closed valve but only needs an additional 20 strokes per chamber from a handpump to finish off. So much faster than manual pumping.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    After open heart surgery meant I struggle with a manual pump, I got one of these

Expensive and heavy, but excellent. If you don't need a complete autonomy of power, there are plenty of cheaper versions.
    I have the same pump for my paddleboard - agree it’s excellent. A bit overkill for a dinghy though, since it goes up to 20psi which is several times the pressure a conventional inflatable needs.

Pete

I have an upright one made by Coleman. Far better than a foot pump as it seems to give more air per stroke than a foot pump & i find easier to operate as it does not skate around like a foot pump because one can grip it under ones feet and use both hands to pump

sorry, struggling with link on Ipad bit try this similar one on amazon-
    High Peak 49702, Double
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 11-08-19 at 12:54.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I bought an Avon Redcrest this year. It's ancient. So is the pump, but it's still up to the job, and I don't know a better design.

That's another old one on Ebay, I'm tempted to buy it myself.

But I find it inexplicable that nobody makes a BIG foot-pump. However well-constructed they are, the frenetic squeak of pumping that can often be heard at launch sites, is the consequence of the kiddie-friendly proportions. Like being fixed in a low gear.

If the bellows were a lot bigger, I could still pump energetically and the boat would inflate without the air of breathless fuss.

Lidl have a high volume and pump that I have and is quite effective. I have something identical and am impressed (can also deflate).

If you are looking for electronic then while bravos are the go to name, I'm told the decathlon pump is about 1/3rd the price and very good

This looks clever if you already have Ryobi 18v cordless tools. I wish Bosch made an equivalent.

https://www.tooled-up.com/ryobi-r18v...yABEgK03vD_BwE

EDIT: I was thinking the thing was sold without a battery, but that example seems complete.

If Bosch made the same thing for the same price without the battery, which I already have, I'd buy one.
    Last edited by dancrane; 11-08-19 at 15:48.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    This looks clever if you already have Ryobi 18v cordless tools. I wish Bosch made an equivalent.

https://www.tooled-up.com/ryobi-r18v...yABEgK03vD_BwE

EDIT: I was thinking the thing was sold without a battery, but that example seems complete.

If Bosch made the same thing for the same price without the battery, which I already have, I'd buy one.
    Maximum pressure of that Ryobi inflator seems to be 0.5PSI. Inflatables typically need around 3.5PSI (and air floors need much more).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast